From: Lowe Anthony A <aalowe@cacd.rockwell.com>
Subject: Re: Rational Apex
Date: 1998/08/07
Date: 1998-08-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Roy is totally right.   For the standard everyday user I equate Apex as
driving a circus train to get to work.   There can be a ton of overhead just
to get the first file put in and compiled.  When it comes to the build
manager, QA, CCB members, Apex is their best friend.  It has quite a few very
useful tools and utilities available, but if you are used to a MS interface,
it can be quite annoying.

As for suggestions/ recommendations:
    * Learn as much about the Apex tools and how the components function (i.e.
subsystem versus view versus history).  If you architect correctly, it can be
years of easy sailing.   If you just throw something together, you will spend
more time fighting the tool than building with it.  (Another fact true of
Ada).

    * Provide the correct training to the specific job functions.  The
standard developer needs to have a basic understanding of how Apex does stuff,
but does not need gory details about the underbelly of the program.   Spend
the money however to get the development environment people up to speed on how
to manage Apex.  This will save much time, dollars, and frustration in the
long run.

    * The RCI capability Roy spoke of is beautiful for replacing 'obsolete'
environments with a nice push button GUI.  We have quite extensively used a
RCI to replace a VAX command line environment and it is immensely helpful.
If you choose to use a GUI compiler (GNAT, ObjectAda) the utility of the RCI
dramatically drops, since the GUI environments provided by the other compiler
are most often easier to use than Apex.

    * Overall, like Roy said, Apex is a great tool if you need strong
Configuration Management, Change Management, and have a very diverse or
changing product.   I find it quite cumbersome to use as just a coding
environment (especially if you have PC's in front of the developers and they
have to XWindow over to a server to use it!).   If you have a simple product,
I would think hard about a smaller product.

Good Luck!

--
Tony Lowe                   Rockwell Collins
1431 Opus Place   -  Downers Grove, IL 60515