From: "Richard A. Maffei" <rickal@visi.net>
To: Steve Puts <steve.p@unicall.be>
Subject: Re: ODBC???
Date: 1998/07/31
Date: 1998-07-31T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Steve Puts wrote:

> I just wonder if it would be possible to create odbc-calls in ada, to connect
> to a remote database server. Could anyone point me out what package I need to
> use for this.
>
> Hope you can help me.
>
> Steve

Steve,

We are in the process of updating our Oracle embedded SQL (Pro*Ada)
application to use ODBC.  Our application resides on a HP-UX 10.20
system and we are using Aonix's ObjectAda 7.1 for the compilation.
Aonix also provides a set of thin bindings to ODBC Level 2.0 plus
extensions.

On the ODBC side, we are using OpenLink's Multi-tier Data Access Driver
Suite (http://www.openlinksw.com) which provides it's own object
broker (i.e., does not require SQL*Net to be installed).

We have been very successful in using the Ada bindings, although we
rely heavily on the Interfaces.C packages since the bindings are thin.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

v/r,
Rick Maffei
rickal@visi.net
rmaffei@c2cen.uscg.mil