* ObjectAda 7.1, HP-UX 10.20, Oracle 7.X, and Intersolv's ODBC drivers
@ 1998-07-09  0:00 Richard A. Maffei
From: Richard A. Maffei @ 1998-07-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ada-nauts,

In our attempt to switch our application from using Oracle's Pro*Ada to
ODBC, we have come across a stumbling block.  Namely, linking our Ada95
software to Intersolv's ODBC drivers through Aonix's ODBC bindings.

The problem arises when executing the program (everything compiles and
links fine).  The ODBC drivers implement shared libraries and when we
run the executable, we receive "unrecognizable symbol __shlinit"
errors.

With the assistance of Aonix and Intersolv, we confirmed which
libraries are to be included in the link command, but the errors still
arise.  Delving deeper into the problem, I found an article in HP's
support center stating that the system linker (ld) cannot handle C++
libraries (in which Intersolv's drivers are written).  To link in C++
libraries, HP's aCC compiler/linker is required.  However, the article
further states that when using the aCC compiler, the main procedure
needs to be written in C++ (shudder).

My questions are simple:  Has anyone successfully integrated an Ada95
application with Aonix's ODBC bindings and Intersolv's drivers on an
HP-UX 10.20 system?  If so (and I truly hope so), can anyone provide
some pointers into the process?  Or are there other alternatives to
what we are attempting?  Note that we require dynamic SQL capabilities.

v/r,
Rick Maffei

* Re: ObjectAda 7.1, HP-UX 10.20, Oracle 7.X, and Intersolv's ODBC drivers
@ 1998-07-10  0:00 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1998-07-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35A53688.61AEED29@visi.net> "Richard A. Maffei" <rickal@visi.net> writes:

  > In our attempt to switch our application from using Oracle's Pro*Ada to
  > ODBC, we have come across a stumbling block.  Namely, linking our Ada95
  > software to Intersolv's ODBC drivers through Aonix's ODBC bindings...

  > With the assistance of Aonix and Intersolv, we confirmed which
  > libraries are to be included in the link command, but the errors still
  > arise.  Delving deeper into the problem, I found an article in HP's
  > support center stating that the system linker (ld) cannot handle C++
  > libraries (in which Intersolv's drivers are written).  To link in C++
  > libraries, HP's aCC compiler/linker is required.  However, the article
  > further states that when using the aCC compiler, the main procedure
  > needs to be written in C++ (shudder).

   Interesting, and the type of problem found in real projects.  There
are several possible solutions:

   1) Get Intersolv to fix their drivers to work with the standard
system linker.  (Best)

   2) Find another ODBC vendor with a binding that doesn't require a
non-standard linker.  I have no idea how easy or hard this is for HP.
I have generated ODBC Ada bindings to ODBC C bindings on other
platforms, but in general this is unlikely to be as efficient.

   3) Get Ionix to modify their binder to support the Intersolve
drivers.

   4..40) Lots of worse solutions.
--

					Robert I. Eachus