* [Q]Gnat on Linux
@ 1998-07-07  0:00 grave
From: grave @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've (it seems) succeded in installing gnat 3.10p on my Linux machine,
but when I'm trying to compile the examples I get this message from
gnatbind :
cannont find crt1.o

Is there somebody with a solution to this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Xavier

* Re: [Q]Gnat on Linux
@ 1998-07-07  0:00 ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

grave wrote:
> I've (it seems) succeded in installing gnat 3.10p on my Linux machine,
> but when I'm trying to compile the examples I get this message from
> gnatbind :
> cannont find crt1.o

Please provide a more complete problem report: Which Linux distribution
do you use, especially which gcc is installed there and which libc?
Do you have a /usr/lib/crt1.o file?

Also check out

  http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html

for a description of how to use the libc5 binaries on glibc2
distributions.

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

* Re: [Q]Gnat on Linux
@ 1998-07-07  0:00 ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

grave wrote:
> I've (it seems) succeded in installing gnat 3.10p on my Linux machine,
> but when I'm trying to compile the examples I get this message from
> gnatbind :
> cannont find crt1.o

Assuming you are using Red Hat 5.1, you apparently have not installed
the glibc-devel-2.0.7-13 RPM when you installed Linux, because the
file in questing is in there:

  $ rpm -q -l glibc-devel-2.0.7-13 | grep crt1
  /usr/lib/Mcrt1.o
  /usr/lib/crt1.o
  /usr/lib/gcrt1.o

Nevertheless, you will also have to look at
<http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html> to handle the next problem that
you will face after the crt1.o problem is fixed, but then everything
should be ok.

Hope this helped ...

Markus

--

@ 1998-07-07  0:00 ` Francois Godme
From: Francois Godme @ 1998-07-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

grave wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've (it seems) succeded in installing gnat 3.10p on my Linux machine,
> but when I'm trying to compile the examples I get this message from
> gnatbind :
> cannont find crt1.o
>
> Is there somebody with a solution to this problem ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Xavier

Hi,

If you are a Red Hat 5.0 user and wish to install only RPM packages, you
can make your very own Gnat-3.10p RPM package from the Debian package
gnat_3.10p-3.deb with the package converter "alien".

The command:

alien --to-rpm gnat_3.10p-3.deb

will create the package gnat-3.10p-4.i386.rpm in the directory
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.

As it was meant for Debian, installation is not totally perfect (gnat
complains after some missing files but a
couple of 'ln -s" has solved all the problems on my Linux box.)

Here is what the command "rpm -qi gnat" says once gnat is installed:
<<<
Name        : gnat                        Distribution: Debian
Version     : 3.10p                             Vendor: (none)
Release     : 4                             Build Date: Mon Apr 27
23:57:41 1998
Install date: Tue Apr 28 00:02:35 1998   Build Host: localhost
Group       : Converted/Debian              Source RPM:
gnat-3.10p-4.src.rpm
Size        : 11148027
Summary     : The GNU NYU Ada Translator.
Description :
GNAT is the GNU NYU Ada Translator.
Not to be confused with gnats, the bug tracking system.

This version is based on patching the FSF gcc-2.7.2.3 sources with
the gnat-3.10p source patches, and building it with a previous binary
distribution.  Tools have been modified to use "gnatgcc" as the driver
and libgnatgcc instead of libgcc as the support library.

Due to problems caused by diversions in previous versions, this release
no longer "diverts" gcc, but installs "gnatgcc" as the gnat compiler.

Francois

* Re: [Q]Gnat on Linux
@ 1998-07-08  0:00   ` grave
From: grave @ 1998-07-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Kuhn

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Nevertheless, you will also have to look at
> <http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html> to handle the next problem that
> you will face after the crt1.o problem is fixed, but then everything
> should be ok.

I've tried the thing explain in http://www.gnat.com/chat/2781.html but
when I execute the shell :
#!/bin/tcsh -f
foreach f (../adainclude/*.ad[bs])
  gcc -c -O2 -gnatpga -I- $f
end

I get for all .ad[bs] this message :
a-sfteio.ads:20:12: "Ada" is not a predefined library unit
compilation abandoned
a-sfwtio.ads:20:12: "Ada" is not a predefined library unit
compilation abandoned
a-siocst.adb:42:31: "Ada.Sequential_Io.C_Streams" is not a predefined
library unit
compilation abandoned
a-siocst.ads:43:26: "Ada.Sequential_Io" is not a predefined library unit
compilation abandoned

I've tried it with the command line and I get the same result :
[xavier@pcu4 adalib]$ gcc -c -gnatpga -I- ../adainclude/a-astaco.adb
a-astaco.adb:40:17: "Ada.Asynchronous_Task_Control" is not a predefined
library unit
compilation abandoned

Do you understand this problem ?

I hope the RedHat 5.1 is not so far from the RedHat 5.0

xavier

* Re: [Q]Gnat on Linux
@ 1998-07-08  0:00   ` grave
From: grave @ 1998-07-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Godme

Francois Godme wrote:

> If you are a Red Hat 5.0 user and wish to install only RPM packages, you
> can make your very own Gnat-3.10p RPM package from the Debian package
> gnat_3.10p-3.deb with the package converter "alien".
>
> The command:
>
> alien --to-rpm gnat_3.10p-3.deb

where can I find alien ?

@ 1998-07-08  0:00     ` Francois Godme
From: Francois Godme @ 1998-07-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

grave wrote:

> where can I find alien ?

- In the January 1998 Infomagic Linux Developper's Resource 6 CD,  (I have
used the
package alien-5.20-1.noarch.rpm)

- On any FTP Red Hat mirror site in the contrib directory.

Francois