From: "Dr Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: Idea for Ada 200x: Arguments that are procedures
Date: 1998/07/06
Date: 1998-07-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Charles Hixson wrote:
> references, so Unchecked_DeAllocation always feels very dangerous.  On
> the third hand, Java's "lets garbage collect EVERYTHING" seems
> excessive, and has GOT to be a part of what slows Java down.

Yes and no.  Java's object creation times (using Sun's JDK on a SPARC)
are _huge_ compared with other operations, and _way_ bigger than object
creation in for example Smalltalk, which also has quasi-parallel OOP.
One of the Erlang people pointed out to me that existing Java systems
have a single shared heap instead of a per-thread heap, so that object
creation has to involve locking, but that can't be the whole story.