From: grosman@aonix.fr (Tom Grosman)
Subject: Re: ObjectAda and ANSI.SYS
Date: 1998/06/19
Date: 1998-06-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:49:47 GMT, jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry
van Dijk) wrote:

>Adding the ansi.sys driver will enable usage of ansi escape
>sequences for DOS programs. MS does not support the use of
>ansi for console based windows programs.
>
>I modified Mike Feldmans SCREEN package to run on a Win32
>system, you can find it on my homepage:
>
>http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
>
>Success,
>Jerry.

Actually, Windows95 DOES support using the ansi.sys driver for console
applications (I've successfully done this with an ObjectAda app.) Put
your ansi.sys declaration in config.sys and reboot (not just open a
new DOS command window.)

NT, as pointed out, does not support the ansi.sys driver. Don't ask me
why it's included in the NT system directory though.  I found a note
on the MicroSoft support site which says ansi.sys will not work for
NT. It is under consideration for future inclusion. That note was
several years old and referred to NT3.x. Perhaps MS is still
considering?

-Tom Grosman
Aonix