From: Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Idea: Array Boundary Checks on Write Access Only
Date: 1998/06/21
Date: 1998-06-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> It seems odd to have *any* runtime checks that can raise exceptions in
> safety critical progams. Such programs are not supposed to have errors
> that could write arrays out of bounds, and the certification and validation
> process should be able to prove the absence of such errors.

On this topic, read also the famous Ariane 5 maiden flight failure
analysis:

  http://www.esrin.esa.it/htdocs/tidc/Press/Press96/ariane5rep.html

The reason for the crash in the end was an unhandled Ada overflow
exception. There would have been no problem here if this piece of
navigation system control code had been compiled without exceptions.

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>