From: fred@cs.utexas.edu (Fred Hosch)
Subject: Re: is this a bug of my Ada compiler
Date: 13 Oct 88 20:02:52 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <7324@aw.sei.cmu.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:

> Since the constant K is never subsequently used, the compiler
> has probably optimised your code and deleted both K and the
> initial assignment to it.  That is legitimate [RM 11.6 (7)],
> but I confess I'd rather have had a compile-time warning.

It's not clear to me that LRM 11.6(7) permits the compiler to optimize
away the declaration elaboration.  If K were a variable subsequently
assigned, the "predefined operation" of assignment "need not be invoked."
I think a CONSTRAINT_ERROR or NUMERIC_ERROR is required to be raised
in this case?

		---fred hosch
		fred@cs.utexas.edu