From: John Volan <johnv@ac3i.dseg.ti.com>
Subject: Re: Ultimate Language feature list
Date: 1998/05/20
Date: 1998-05-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Bull wrote:

> Chris Miller wrote:
>
> > I always understood that the "ultimate" language was, by
> > definition, an
> > interpreter for the English language !.
> >

> Ugh! I hope this was not a serious suggestion: natural language
> is far too ambiguous to be a useful implementation language.

Indeed, as has been proven in any number of cautionary tales involving
genies-in-a-bottle and magic wishes.  What comes to mind is a fantasy
short story of recent years (can't remember the title or author) in
which a well-meaning but fatally tongue-tied protagonist attempted to
resolve all human conflict but instead unleashed a world-wide ecological
disaster by uttering the fateful words:

        "Let there be pease on earth."

At which point the porridge rains began... :-)

--
Signature volanSignature =
  new Signature