* Modem Application
@ 1998-05-15  0:00 Sam Valenti
From: Sam Valenti @ 1998-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to get input from a modem (the tones it hears when online).
I have no idea how to do this.  I've tried researching in the library
and on PAL for anything, but to know avail.  I guess my specific
question is how do you do input from a peripheral.
Thanks,
Sam V.
samami@hotmail.com

* Re: Modem Application
@ 1998-05-16  0:00 ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1998-05-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Valenti wrote:
> I am trying to get input from a modem (the tones it hears when online).
> I have no idea how to do this.  I've tried researching in the library
> and on PAL for anything, but to know avail.  I guess my specific
> question is how do you do input from a peripheral.

You have to learn how to communicate with an RS-232 serial port from
Ada, and then you have to read the manual for your modem concerning the
AT command set that it implements (there are also some TIA/EIA and
ITU-T recommendations on this subject, but better stick with your
modem manual). How to access the serial port depends on your operating
system. Under Linux for instance, just open the file /dev/cua1
and use the ioctl() C function (via pragma Import or via a POSIX.5
library such as florist).

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

* Re: Modem Application
@ 1998-05-16  0:00   ` Sam Valenti
From: Sam Valenti @ 1998-05-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)