* Request: Info on Mac and PC Ada compilers.
@ 1991-07-29  6:55 uokmax!munnari.oz.au!yoyo.aarnet.edu.au!sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au!spam!r
From: uokmax!munnari.oz.au!yoyo.aarnet.edu.au!sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au!spam!r @ 1991-07-29  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada Compilers for the Mac and PC
--------------------------------
I am about to write some commercial software and would be most
grateful for any information on Ada Compilers for the Macintosh and
the PC (I intend to buy one compiler for each). In particular I am
after any or all of the following:

===> A list of compilers available for each machine.

   * Reviews of compilers.
   * Cost and availability of compilers.
   * Interface to Mac and PC system calls.
   * References to publications containing the above information.
   * Testimonials (even just a line or two long) from compiler users.

If this is a frequently asked question, please send me the frequently
replied answer!

Thanks,

Ross Williams
ross@spam.ua.oz.au

PS: I used DEC Ada (an excellent compiler) from 1987-1989 at Adelaide
University, but switched to C (because of compiler availability) when
I graduated. Now I am receiving indications that better compilers are
available and I want to return to the fold to avoid all the debugging
and heartache that C will cause me if I use it to construct a large
program.

* Re: Request: Info on Mac and PC Ada compilers.
@ 1991-07-29 21:45 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!news.cs.indiana.e
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!sdd.hp.com!news.cs.indiana.e @ 1991-07-29 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <969@spam.ua.oz>, ross@spam.ua.oz.au (Ross Williams) writes:

>    * Testimonials (even just a line or two long) from compiler users.

I've used Meridian's PC  *AND*  Macintosh versions, and can't say enough good
baout each of them.  I recently received PC version 4.1.1 but haven't installed
it.  The Mac version requires Macintosh Programmers Workshop, an excellent
development environment, though I do not yet have a System 7.0 compatible
version.

Ray Harwood

* Re: Request: Info on Mac and PC Ada compilers.
@ 1991-07-30  3:18 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1991-07-30  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jul29.144550.1@east.pima.edu> rharwood@east.pima.edu writes:
>In article <969@spam.ua.oz>, ross@spam.ua.oz.au (Ross Williams) writes:
>
>>    * Testimonials (even just a line or two long) from compiler users.
>
>I've used Meridian's PC  *AND*  Macintosh versions, and can't say enough good
>baout each of them.  I recently received PC version 4.1.1 but haven't installe
>it.  The Mac version requires Macintosh Programmers Workshop, an excellent
>development environment, though I do not yet have a System 7.0 compatible
>version.

I'll second Ray's testimonial. OS interfaces are quite decent in both
systems. MPW is bundled with the Mac one. Prices in the US are quite
reasonable as well, at least in the 286 real-mode case: roughly $300.
for each, I believe, though this changes ften. Student price is $149.

Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 U.S.A.

phone 202-994-5253
fax   202-994-5296
email mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

* Re: Request: Info on Mac and PC Ada compilers.
@ 1991-07-31 15:12 Arthur Evans
From: Arthur Evans @ 1991-07-31 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have used both Meridian Ada and Alsys Ada on the Macintosh; herewith a
few comments on them.

Both run under under MPW.

Alsys has apparently designed its Mac Ada to have pretty much the same
look and feel as its PC product (and, I imagine, its other products).
Meridian, on the other hand, has made its product look and feel more
like other languages that run under MPW.

I can't say that either approach is right or, even, to be preferred --
it depends on what you are doing.  If you are developing Ada
applications on several hardware platforms including the Mac, the Alsys
approach is probably more convenient.  If you are developing Mac
applications in several languages including Ada, the Meridian approach
is probably better.

Art Evans