* GUI and Printing in ADA
@ 1998-05-01  0:00 Brian Franklin
From: Brian Franklin @ 1998-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am somewhat new to ADA so I hope my question is not a dumb one.
Is there a software (hopefully free) that will provide a GUI to my ADA
programs.

Also how can I write code to send output to my printer?  A read such
and such book or manual will be an adequate response.

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA (one more thing)
@ 1998-05-01  0:00 ` Brian Franklin
From: Brian Franklin @ 1998-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I forgot to mention that I am using Windows 95.

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA
@ 1998-05-02  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Franklin (bf14@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:

: I am somewhat new to ADA so I hope my question is not a dumb one.
: Is there a software (hopefully free) that will provide a GUI to my ADA
: programs.

Not a dumb question at all, but difficult to answer without knowning
the platform (Windows, Unix/X, OS/2, ...) you are using.

: Also how can I write code to send output to my printer?  A read such
: and such book or manual will be an adequate response.

Basically you open an file for the printer device. But again, that
might be dependent on your platform.

Jerry.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Leiden, Holland | member Team-Ada

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA (one more thing)
@ 1998-05-02  0:00   ` Basilis
From: Basilis @ 1998-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

there is  object ada v7.1  but is  a rather big  file  about 75MB compressed
one  of the  sites  that u  can find  it  is :
http://www.adahome.com/articles/1997-10/pr_objectadafree.html
or  directly  at the  ftp://ftp.aonix.com/pub/ada/public/pal

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA (one more thing)
@ 1998-05-03  0:00     ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1998-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might take a look at the downloadable demo version of Claw at
www.rrsoftware.com, and the associated TriAda paper on Windows
programming in Ada 95.

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA (one more thing)
@ 1998-05-07  0:00     ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1998-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Basilis wrote:

> there is  object ada v7.1  but is  a rather big  file  about 75MB compressed
> one  of the  sites  that u  can find  it  is :
> http://www.adahome.com/articles/1997-10/pr_objectadafree.html
> or  directly  at the  ftp://ftp.aonix.com/pub/ada/public/pal

Actually, we've recently broken it into smaller
chunks starting at 18 MB (still a lot to download,
but not as daunting as the full 77 MB).

However, pertaining to the original query, the
GUI Builder included with this Special Edition
is a demo only (disallows code generation) so
would be of limited interest to Mr. Franklin.
Further, the Special Edition version (7.1) is
missing a large number of GUI Builder bug
fixes and extremely useful ActiveX control
import facility.

On the other hand, I note the .edu address.  If
he is a qualified professor or student, he can
avail of our educational discount program (LEAP)
and get the full Professional Edition (free or
cheap, respectively).   He can call for more
information at 1-800-97-AONIX.

Another potentially viable option to consider
is the CLAW builder from RR Software.

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, Win32 and Java products

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA
@ 1998-05-11  0:00   ` Haug Buerger
From: Haug Buerger @ 1998-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry van Dijk <jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl> wrote:
>Brian Franklin (bf14@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
>
>: I am somewhat new to ADA so I hope my question is not a dumb one.
>: Is there a software (hopefully free) that will provide a GUI to my ADA
>: programs.
>
>Not a dumb question at all, but difficult to answer without knowning
>the platform (Windows, Unix/X, OS/2, ...) you are using.

There are some libraries for C++ that are portable to a wide
range of systems. Isn't there something like that for Ada?

Haug

--

For email use haug@zesi.ruhr.de !

* Re: GUI and Printing in ADA
@ 1998-05-15  0:00     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is, of course, one of the aspects I hope to be addressed by my current
initiative towards a standard Graphical User Interface for Ada. There exist
certain proprietary products which provide graphics libraries which are
environment-independent, to some degree or other; refer to your compiler's
producer (or vendor) for more information.

--
Nick Roberts
ThoughtWing Software, Croydon, UK

[...]

@ 1998-06-08  0:00     ` me
From: me @ 1998-06-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haug Buerger wrote:

> Jerry van Dijk <jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl> wrote:
> >Brian Franklin (bf14@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
> >
> >: I am somewhat new to ADA so I hope my question is not a dumb one.
> >: Is there a software (hopefully free) that will provide a GUI to my ADA
> >: programs.
> >
> >Not a dumb question at all, but difficult to answer without knowning
> >the platform (Windows, Unix/X, OS/2, ...) you are using.
>
> There are some libraries for C++ that are portable to a wide
> range of systems. Isn't there something like that for Ada?
>
> Haug

I think XForms is available for most of the common platforms (Windows NT,Unix
(Linux etc.) and OS/2.

@ 1998-08-15  0:00       ` Mr Ada
From: Mr Ada @ 1998-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

me wrote:

> I think XForms is available for most of the common platforms (Windows NT,Unix
> (Linux etc.) and OS/2.

Beware.  Using XForms for free software purposes is fine.  If you plan to make
money off it then you'll owe a royalty fee.

I am current working on an Ada 95 version of a widget library for use in an X
environment.  My first target is Linux OS, however, I have know this software to

work fine on HPUX and Sun Solaris/Sun OS.

Eventually I will put a useable version on my web site.

Later...

Chris Sparks
http://www.catalina-inter.net/mrada