From: Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: for X'Address use - and Volatile
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 07:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2016-09-01T07:24:34-07:00	[thread overview]

> And I'd disagree with that. By the time you have
>
> * many registers to be described to the bit level
> * many peripherals in your SOC
> * more than a couple of teams involved
> * a need to handle interrupts at the Ada level (i.e. with POs)
>
> a linker script is *not* the best place to specify addresses.

Why?

In what way are the "many"'s above more difficult in the linker script than in the Ada code? Linker scripts are source files and they can be managed like other source files.

The difference is - the linker script can deal not only with the registers, but with general memory mapping for everything - including program code, stack space, free store, etc. Doing only some of it in Ada and some of it outside of it is just inconsistent. I prefer to have a consistent approach for what I consider to be a single, although general, problem (mapping of program entities to hardware).

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com