From: Christopher Campise <crc@amherst.com>
Subject: Help on extending a private record from a private record with a generic attribute...
Date: 1998/04/16
Date: 1998-04-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ada95 on a Rational Apex compiler:
I have a "superclass" with a private record consisiting of a generic
type attribute.  I need to inherit this from within another package but
am receiving compiler errors stating that "a record extension will be
provided iff the parent record is tagged," (which it is).  Is this even
legal?  I looked everywhere for examples and found none that relate to
this, adahome.com, Programming in Ada95, Rendezvous with Ada95, plus
other tutorials.  Any ideas?

For example:

***********
generic
   type Value_Class is private;

package Generic is
   type Class is tagged private;
         .
         .

private
   type Class is tagged
      record
         Some_Value : Value_Class;
      end record;

end Generic;

***********

with Generic;

package MyPackage is
    type Class is new Generic.Class with private;  -> Message: "CLASS
(2nd one) denotes no component of Generic; a record extension

will be provided iff  parent type is a tagged type" (which it is)
                .
                .
private
   type Class is new Generic.Class with    ->   Message: "CLASS (2nd
one) denotes no component of Generic; a record extension

record
will be provided iff  parent type is a tagged type" (which it is)
         Index : Integer;
      end record;
end MyPackage;

--
Chris Campise, Associate Engineer     phone:  (716)631-0610 x384
Amherst Systems Inc.                         fax:    (716)631-0629