From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: GNAT, Windsock, and DLLs
Date: 1998/04/16
Date: 1998-04-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Do-While Jones asks how to use GNAT to link with Windows 95 DLLs.

The answer is that you need to include Windows .lib files in your link
command. .lib files are normal library files; they usually contain
object files. For DLLs, they just contain the information on how to call
the DLL.

So, where to you get the .lib files for the Windows DLLs? One source is
the Win32Ada binding; I think that is part of the GNAT distribution. I'm
not sure if the winsock DLL is covered in that distribution.

There should also be a tool that generates a .lib file from a DLL; the
DLL (if built properly) has all the information needed to build a lib
file. I don't think the GNAT distribution has such a tool. (there is an
executable called "dlltool", but it creates a dll).

Borland C++ comes with a dll to lib tool called "implib.exe" (I've used
it). However, you can't use that with GNAT, because the library and
object file formats are different between GNAT and Borland (and
Microsoft, as well).

So, does anyone know if there is an "implib" for GNAT?

--
- Stephe