From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Is there GNU Ada for DOS?
Date: 6 Sep 1994 18:21:11 -0400
Date: 1994-09-06T18:21:11-04:00	[thread overview]

In article <34hmn4$3ds@cnj.digex.net>, Gentle <gentle@cnj.digex.net> wrote:
>Andrew Solberg (asolberg@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: The subject says it, is there a GNU ada compiler for
>: DOS??? How about Unix???
>
>: I prefer to be emailed.  Thanks.
>
>Actually - could responses also be posted here please?  I'm sure others
>would appreciate this info too (as would I!)

I think we need to start a GNAT FAQ.

Your answer is yes, and yes. GNAT (GNU/NYU Ada 94 Translator) is
available by ftp from cs.nyu.edu, directory pub/gnat. SunOS, OS/2,
DOS, and several other Unix dialects are currently supported.
Full sources are also available, as is the practice with GNU stuff.

To use the DOS version, you need to install the djgpp system, which is
a 32-bit gcc for DOS. That is _not_ at NYU, but you can get it from
many servers. Basic information is given the GNAT readme for the DOS
version.

Most of Ada 94 is supported at this point; there is tasking only for the
SunOS version, however. No editors or other "packaging" yet; this will
come in due course.

There is an Ada 83 system for DOS and Mac, GW-Ada/Ed. I will post an
announcement in a separate posting. This is not officially a GNU system,
but is being distributed under the GNU General Public License.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5253 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
"Pork is all that stuff the government gives the other guys."