* Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-02-27  0:00 Hike14000
From: Hike14000 @ 1998-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for top notch Ada programmers for interesting robotics software
development work. I have had difficulty finding the right people, and am open
to suggestions where I can find good Ada programmers. Can anyone help me find
some good Ada programmers?

Regards
D. Parish
www.omnitech.com

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-02-27  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1998-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Responding to comp.lang.ada #69810 from hike14000@aol.com (Hike14000)

D. Parish www.omnitech.com posted the following:
    > I am looking for top notch Ada programmers for interesting
    > robotics software development work. I have had difficulty
    > finding the right people, and am open to suggestions where
    > I can find good Ada programmers. Can anyone help me find
    > some good Ada programmers?

This post is missing quite a lot of information:

    (1) is this another jobshopper with no jobs building up
        a database of Ada programmers, or is there really
        a job here?

    (2) is this another entry-level-paying job with
        senior-system-engineer responsibilities or
        is an appropriate pay scale going to be used?

    (3) why is there an implication that Ada programmers
        are hard to find? All the Ada programmers I know
        (who are not already using Ada) are merely waiting
        for a job with a salary higher than they are being
        paid now. Moving to an Ada job is easy if the salary
        is high enough. Where are high paying Ada jobs?

    (4) I know several people interested in robotics,
        but this post with 100 percent implication and
        no actual details is not going to motivate anyone.

    (5) Perhaps you could post the number of jobs and the
        salaries you are actually paying, and if the salary
        is high enough you will get immediate responses.

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-01  0:00 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1998-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael F Brenner writes:
"This post is missing quite a lot of information:"

and some questions to which i add...

   (6) I would guess (based on the nature of the job) that you
       want U.S. citizens only, or am I wrong?

Dale

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-03  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1998-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Responding to comp.lang.ada #69810 from hike14000@aol.com (Hike14000)
>
>D. Parish www.omnitech.com posted the following:
>    > I am looking for top notch Ada programmers for interesting
>    > robotics software development work. I have had difficulty
>    > finding the right people, and am open to suggestions where
>    > I can find good Ada programmers. Can anyone help me find
>    > some good Ada programmers?
>
>This post is missing quite a lot of information:

<snip>
>    (3) why is there an implication that Ada programmers
>        are hard to find? All the Ada programmers I know
>        (who are not already using Ada) are merely waiting
>        for a job with a salary higher than they are being
>        paid now. Moving to an Ada job is easy if the salary
>        is high enough. Where are high paying Ada jobs?
<snip>

    I get $200/hr, plus expenses, with a contractual guarantee of 6
    months pay. For a non-refundable fee of $1000, payable in advance,
    I will submit my resume for consideration.

    It's hard to be humble when you're the best there is. ;-)

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     Voice:     561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:       561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:  CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
     And who dares mock Spam?
     You? you? you are not worthy
     Of one rich pink fleck
        --  Spam Haiku

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-03  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1998-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

MDC >  I get $200/hr, plus expenses, with a contractual guarantee of 6
    >  months pay. For a non-refundable fee of $1000, payable in advance,
    >  I will submit my resume for consideration.
    >  It's hard to be humble when you're the best there is. ;-)

Well, a bunch of us were just about to reveal our salaries, when MDC
made the bold move of revealing one such salary. Since my own salary
is less than that, there is no reason to reveal mine on this
thread.

However, this is one anecdotal piece of evidence (and the only thing
needed for statistical significance is a bunch of more anecodotes).

This helps explain why recruiters cannot find Ada programmers in the
entry level $50,000 dollar a year range. Funny, how this is a case
where you get what you pay for.

For example, the post quoted above (previous post in this thread)
says that MDC is the best there is, and posts to this thread
would not lie :)

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-03  0:00   ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1998-03-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>This post is missing quite a lot of information:
But the web site it references does have some quite interesting
information.

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-04  0:00   ` Mark Bennison
From: Mark Bennison @ 1998-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mfb@mbunix.mitre.org (Michael F Brenner) thought long and hard and
wrote:

<snip>
>This helps explain why recruiters cannot find Ada programmers in the
>entry level $50,000 dollar a year range. Funny, how this is a case

Entry level????? Blimey! I've been in the business for 12 years and I
don't get that sort of cash! I'm moving to the States!! :-)

Mark.
--
Mark Bennison MBCS,      +-----------------------------------+
Technical Consultant,    | All opinions expressed are my own |

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-04  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6dhnag$qu3@top.mitre.org>, mfb@mbunix.mitre.org (Michael F Brenner) writes:

> For example, the post quoted above (previous post in this thread)
> says that MDC is the best there is, and posts to this thread
> would not lie :)

But this post you are reading right now is a lie.

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-04  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1998-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael F Brenner <mfb@MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG> writes:

>For example, the post quoted above (previous post in this thread)
>says that MDC is the best there is, and posts to this thread
>would not lie :)

    Well, I'd find it difficult to believe that a poster to C.L.A
    would lie, but there are inherent problems with inaccuracy. For
    example, we are talking about a fast moving market here and no
    sooner do I post my asking price for consulting services than
    demand starts to skyrocket. And we all know enough basic economics
    to understand what happens when demand is high and supply is
    low... :-)

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     Voice:     561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:       561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:  CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
     In the cool morning
     I fry up a slab of Spam
     A dog barks next door
        --  Spam Haiku

* Re: Where have all the Ada programmers gone?
@ 1998-03-05  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1998-03-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Bennison <mark.bennison@GECM.COM> writes:
><snip>
>>This helps explain why recruiters cannot find Ada programmers in the
>>entry level $50,000 dollar a year range. Funny, how this is a case
>
>Entry level????? Blimey! I've been in the business for 12 years and I
>don't get that sort of cash! I'm moving to the States!! :-)

    Clearly, you have missed the logic of the Personnel Department.
    :-)

    The premise here is that the Personnel Department wants to pay
    you as absolutely few dollars as they have to in order to keep you
    from quitting until such time as they want you to quit. So if you
    don't quit, you must be happy, right? And until you do quit, they
    are paying you too much, right?

    However, it would be unethical for you to do as absolutely little
    work as was necessary to keep them from firing you until such time
    as it was to your advantage to collect unemployment insurance.

    And the Personnel Department also figures that if every day you
    jump out of an airplane with a smaller and smaller parachute,
    pretty soon you will be able to jump out of a plane without a
    parachute at all. :-)