* CONCEIVING ADA
@ 1998-02-18  0:00 Herwig Habenbacher
From: Herwig Habenbacher @ 1998-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just some stuff...

One of the most outstanding females in the technical history of computing is
Ada, Countess of Lovelace. Lynn Hershman Leeson, in her new film Conceiving
Ada, brings this Victorian role model into contemporary discussion, offering
cyberfeminism a reconfigured look at Ada's personal life and ideas, taking
the fe.male.data_set in new directions.

See at:

http://www.ix.de/tp/english/pop/topic_2/4102/1.html

Regards,

    Herwig

* Film "Conceiving Ada" (was: Re: CONCEIVING ADA)
@ 1998-02-24  0:00 ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 1998-02-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ I hope this won't be a duplicate posting.  I'm almost 100% sure
  my first posting failed; if it didn't, sorry... -- dc ]

In article <34eb2fd5.0@mailgate.hilti.com> "Herwig Habenbacher"
<habenb@hilti.com> writes:
[...]
>One of the most outstanding females in the technical history of
>computing is Ada, Countess of Lovelace. Lynn Hershman Leeson, in her
>new film Conceiving Ada, brings this Victorian role model into
>contemporary discussion, offering cyberfeminism a reconfigured look
>at Ada's personal life and ideas, taking the fe.male.data_set in new
>directions.
[...]
>See at:
>http://www.ix.de/tp/english/pop/topic_2/4102/1.html

This film was broadcast last evening on the ARTE channel in Europe
(well, Belgium at least).

I only saw the title announced in the TV schedules yesterday evening
and remembering Herwig's message taped the film for later viewing.

Did anyone here see it?  Opinions?  Were people of the "Ada community"
involved in some way with this project?

I understand this might be somewhat outside of the range of CLA topics.
However, it is to my knowledge the first time a film is featuring Ada,
and as central person even, so there is definitely some connection with
the newsgroup.

Who knows, it might help to give Ada-the-language some attention.

Dirk (Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.ac.be for Ada-Belgium e-mail)

--
Dirk Craeynest | OFFIS nv/sa       | Email Dirk.Craeynest@offis.be
   Ada-Belgium | Weiveldlaan 41/32 | Phone ++32(2)725.40.25

+-------------/ E-mail: ada@belgium.eu.net (Ada-Belgium Board)
|Ada-Belgium /     WWW: http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/
|on Internet/      FTP: ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium
+----------/ Mail-list: ada-belgium-info-request@cs.kuleuven.ac.be

* Re: Film "Conceiving Ada" (was: Re: CONCEIVING ADA)
@ 1998-02-25  0:00   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can see your video been passed around the said Ada community (quite
possibly in brown paper wrapping ;-).

------------ Nick Roberts
---------- Croydon, UK

Dirk Craeynest wrote in message <6cub18$s7e@galatea.cs.kuleuven.ac.be>...
[Mention of a film about Ada..]
>This film was broadcast last evening on the ARTE channel in Europe
>(well, Belgium at least).
[...]

@ 1998-02-25  0:00   ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 1998-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Craeynest a �crit dans le message
<6cub18$s7e@galatea.cs.kuleuven.ac.be>...

>This film was broadcast last evening on the ARTE channel in Europe
>(well, Belgium at least).
>
>I only saw the title announced in the TV schedules yesterday evening
>and remembering Herwig's message taped the film for later viewing.
>
>Did anyone here see it?  Opinions?  Were people of the "Ada community"
>involved in some way with this project?
Well, I saw it...
Apart from the fact that we see the countess, it was not really interesting
(for what I can tell - I slept a good half of it ;-)
Lots of usual fantasy about computer guru that revive the deads...

There is one mention that "Ada is such an important person that the US
militaries chose her name for their programming language".
                  J-P. Rosen (Rosen.Adalog@wanadoo.fr)
      Visit Adalog's web site at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/adalog