* Standadised OO Language
@ 1998-02-12  0:00 Matthew Daniel
From: Matthew Daniel @ 1998-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

After Having a "discussion" with one of the engineers at work,  he is an
Ada "hater" and I am the Ada "lover", about standadised OO languages, I
said Ada95 was the only one, well at least 6 months ago, he said C++ has
an ANSI standard and has for a couple of years.

I was just wondering if I was correct or totally wrong.

Thanks

Matt

* Re: Standadised OO Language
@ 1998-02-14  0:00 Marc Wachowitz
From: Marc Wachowitz @ 1998-02-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Howard W. LUDWIG" <howard.w.ludwig@lmco.com> wrote:
> [Thus, Lisp has the dubious distinction of being one of the few
> languages for which both an ANSI standard and an ISO standard exist
> but they never have matched
> nor does there seem to be any attempt to harmonize them.]

Actually "Lisp" is a family of languages, with considerable differences;
except for the similarity of names, the above is like wondering why there
are so many differences between e.g. Oberon-2, Modula-3 and Ada, since
after all they do have many similarities (sometimes called "Pascal-like").
If one looks closer, one sees that this is intentionally so, since their
design principles/purposes differ.

There's an ANSI standard for "Common Lisp", an ISO standard for "ISLisp",
and an IEEE standard for Scheme (another dialect, not "object-oriented",
though some will argue that objects are poor man's replacement for first-
class function closures and flexibility ;-) and there are quite a few
non-standardized Lisp dialects (for details, see comp.lang.lisp and/or
comp.lang.scheme).

-- Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>