* Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-21 20:22 Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-21 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am doing a paper for school on career interests. One career interest I
have is to develop software for NASA.  I was wondering if there are any
ADA developers at NASA that watch this thread.  I would very much like to
speak with you if so.

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-21 22:35 ` Mark H Johnson
From: Mark H Johnson @ 2004-01-21 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Ward wrote:

> I am doing a paper for school on career interests. One career interest I
> have is to develop software for NASA.  I was wondering if there are any
> ADA developers at NASA that watch this thread.  I would very much like to
> speak with you if so.
NASA (as a civil servant) or a contractor delivering products to NASA?

I am certainly in the latter category and would not mind talking to a
student about the kinds of software we develop, how we do it, etc.
   --Mark Johnson

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-22 12:41   ` Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-22 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:35:57 -0600, Mark H Johnson wrote:

> Bill Ward wrote:
>
>> I am doing a paper for school on career interests. One career interest I
>> have is to develop software for NASA.  I was wondering if there are any
>> ADA developers at NASA that watch this thread.  I would very much like to
>> speak with you if so.
> NASA (as a civil servant) or a contractor delivering products to NASA?
>
> I am certainly in the latter category and would not mind talking to a
> student about the kinds of software we develop, how we do it, etc.
>    --Mark Johnson

Either or :)  I Did a little reaserch on the subject namely the NASA
Document "Recommended Approach to Software Development, Revision 3" SEL-81-305.
Apparently there is a ton of documentation and a solid system of checks
and balances.  One big question I have is if ADA is still used or even
used at all for current NASA projects.  I heard that the Spirit Rover used
JAVA.

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-22 12:49     ` Adrian Knoth
From: Adrian Knoth @ 2004-01-22 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Ward <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote:

> and balances.  One big question I have is if ADA is still used or even

You should first recognize that it is spelled Ada before doing
any further investigations.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Die Abk. f�r Abk. ist Abk.

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-22 12:59     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-22 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-22, Bill Ward <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote:

> I heard that the Spirit Rover used JAVA.

This is not correct. Java is only used in the control room not in the
rover itself. See previous postings here on the group.

--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-22 13:04       ` Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:49:38 +0000, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> Bill Ward <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote:
>
>> and balances.  One big question I have is if ADA is still used or even
>
> You should first recognize that it is spelled Ada before doing
> any further investigations.

Right, because its in reference to the first "programmer" Ada Lovelace...I
stand corrected :)

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-22 18:16 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2004-01-22 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Ward wrote:

> I am doing a paper for school on career interests. One career interest I
> have is to develop software for NASA.  I was wondering if there are any
> ADA developers at NASA that watch this thread.  I would very much like to
> speak with you if so.

Ada was used for the flight software on the Cassini mission (which arrives at
Saturn this year) as well as the
extremely successful NEAR mission (along with Forth) see
http://near.jhuapl.edu/PDF/PS.pdf .

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-22 20:52   ` Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:16:40 -0700, Jerry Petrey wrote:

> Bill Ward wrote:
>
>> I am doing a paper for school on career interests. One career interest I
>> have is to develop software for NASA.  I was wondering if there are any
>> ADA developers at NASA that watch this thread.  I would very much like to
>> speak with you if so.
>
> Ada was used for the flight software on the Cassini mission (which arrives at
> Saturn this year) as well as the
> extremely successful NEAR mission (along with Forth) see
> http://near.jhuapl.edu/PDF/PS.pdf .
>
> Jerry
>
> --
>
> -- Jerry Petrey
> -- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
> Control
> -- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
> -- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

Thank you for your input Jerry.  Many of my friends tell me that noone
uses Ada anymore and now I can them they are wrong.  Those will be some
interesting facts to put into my paper. thanks again.

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-23  4:56 ` John Woodruff
From: John Woodruff @ 2004-01-23  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bill Ward" <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.01.21.20.22.35.319095@realitycoder.com>...
> I am doing a paper for school on career interests. One career interest I
> have is to develop software for NASA.  I was wondering if there are any
> ADA developers at NASA that watch this thread.  I would very much like to
> speak with you if so.

In case your academic interest extends past NASA to other
high-technology applications of Ada, you might look at the National
Ignition Facility laser, which is controlled by a distributed software
system written using Ada.

NIF is the world's most powerful laser, even though only 2% of the
beams are complete.  Consider www.llnl.gov/nif/nif.html

I was privileged to work on the controls software for NIF for some
years before my retirement.

John

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-23 11:24     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-23 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-22, Bill Ward <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your input Jerry.  Many of my friends tell me that noone
> uses Ada anymore and now I can them they are wrong.  Those will be some
> interesting facts to put into my paper. thanks again.

You can tell them they are flown by Ada next time they travel with a
Boeing. More information about usage can be found here:

   http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
   http://www.adaic.org/atwork/

HTH

Preben
--

@ 2004-01-23 12:47       ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2004-01-23 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> a �crit dans le message de
> You can tell them they are flown by Ada next time they travel with a
> Boeing.
If they are not flying with a Boeing, chances are they are flying on an Airbus, therefore they are also flying with Ada.

Let's face it: YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ADA!

(Disclaimer: when the whole sentence is upper-case I put also Ada in upper-case :-)
           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-23 13:26       ` Bill Ward
From: Bill Ward @ 2004-01-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:24:16 +0000, Preben Randhol wrote:

> On 2004-01-22, Bill Ward <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for your input Jerry.  Many of my friends tell me that noone
>> uses Ada anymore and now I can them they are wrong.  Those will be some
>> interesting facts to put into my paper. thanks again.
>
> You can tell them they are flown by Ada next time they travel with a
> Boeing. More information about usage can be found here:
>
>    http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
>    http://www.adaic.org/atwork/
>
> HTH
>
> Preben

Wow, I had no idea Ada was used for so many things.  Definitly motivates
me to learn more Ada!

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-23 16:05         ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2004-01-23 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Ward wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:24:16 +0000, Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> > On 2004-01-22, Bill Ward <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote:
> >> Thank you for your input Jerry.  Many of my friends tell me that noone
> >> uses Ada anymore and now I can them they are wrong.  Those will be some
> >> interesting facts to put into my paper. thanks again.
> >
> > You can tell them they are flown by Ada next time they travel with a
> > Boeing. More information about usage can be found here:
> >
> >    http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
> >    http://www.adaic.org/atwork/
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Preben
>
> Wow, I had no idea Ada was used for so many things.  Definitly motivates
> me to learn more Ada!

Bill, to add to your list, here are a few more Ada based projects that I have
worked on:

Some launch control systems at the Kennedy Space Center.
Flight simulator for the Swedish fighter JAS-39.
Simulator for the P-3 aircraft surveillance system used by the U.S. Customs
Service.
Flight software for the Lockheed C-130J transport aircraft (a �glass cockpit�
version of the original C-130) and its smaller version, the C-27J.
Navigation and landing system control used on a number of major airlines.
Jet engine controller for use on Navy ships.
Flight software for the Raytheon JSOW missile.
And my current assignment: Flight software for the Raytheon SM-3
exo-atmospheric anti-ballistic missile.
(for more info, see:
http://www.raytheon.com/products/standard_missile/ref_docs/standard_missile-3.pdf
)

Additionally, Ada was used in the F-22 flight software at Lockheed.

@ 2004-01-23 18:23   ` Alexandre E. Kopilovitch
From: Alexandre E. Kopilovitch @ 2004-01-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

John Woodruff wrote:

> In case your academic interest extends past NASA to other
> high-technology applications of Ada, you might look at the National
> Ignition Facility laser, which is controlled by a distributed software
> system written using Ada.
>
> NIF is the world's most powerful laser, even though only 2% of the
> beams are complete.  Consider www.llnl.gov/nif/nif.html

There are quite interesting articles indeed. I have read some of them and
can testify that the system described there looks really complex and challenging,
and what is significant, the nature and necessity of that complexity is far
more clear in the case of NIF then in most cases related to NASA. And this is
also true for relevance of serious software tools (such as Ada language).

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia

* Re: Any ADA NASA Developer's out there?
@ 2004-01-23 19:14         ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-01-23 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bill Ward" <bill_Ward@realitycoder.com> wrote in message
> Wow, I had no idea Ada was used for so many things.  Definitly motivates
> me to learn more Ada!

Just about everything in the EuroFighter Typhoon uses Ada (there are
exceptions to this rule, of course :-)

http://www.eurofighter.com/