* Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
@ 1998-01-14  0:00 Jon Seidman
From: Jon Seidman @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a computer science student, and I want to learn more languages.  Does
anyone know of a good book from which to learn Ada?

Thanks,
Jon Seidman

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
@ 1998-01-15  0:00 ` Tom Moran
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Moran @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I am a computer science student
With how much experience?  Do you want in intro text, one for soembody
already skilled in language X, or what?

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-15  0:00 ` Kenneth W. Sodemann
From: Kenneth W. Sodemann @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Seidman wrote in message ...
>I am a computer science student, and I want to learn more languages.  Does
>anyone know of a good book from which to learn Ada?

Depends upon your level.  What do you already know?

Ada as a Second Language by Cohen is good (get the second edition, which
covers Ada95, but the first edition covering Ada83 is good too).

Ada95 for C and C++ Programmers by ?Johnston? (I think) seems to be a good
book (I have not gotten too far into it yet) if you have a C or C++
background.  This book is a little lighter than the Cohen book, but it is
also faster paced, and will probably get you up and programming quicker
(also, it comes with a "student" version of a commercially available Ada
compiler).  This book is being used in a course I am auditing, and so far it
seems to be OK.

I have one at home called something like "Object Oriented Programming in
Ada95" by Smith (again, not sure on the author either).  This book came free
with my compiler.  I would only suggest that you get this one if are an
absolute beginner.  Otherwise, if you are going to be spending your own
money for a book, Cohen or Johnston will give you more bang for your buck.

I have evaluated others, but didn't think enough of them to suggest someone
actually pay money for them.

Good luck!

--
with Std_Disclaimer;  use Std_Disclaimer;
Signature.Put (Name => Ken Sodemann,

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
@ 1998-01-15  0:00 ` Kenneth W. Sodemann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenneth W. Sodemann @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Seidman wrote in message ...
>I am a computer science student, and I want to learn more languages.  Does
>anyone know of a good book from which to learn Ada?

Depends upon your level.  What do you already know?

Ada as a Second Language by Cohen is good (get the second edition, which
covers Ada95, but the first edition covering Ada83 is good too).

Ada95 for C and C++ Programmers by ?Johnston? (I think) seems to be a good
book (I have not gotten too far into it yet) if you have a C or C++
background.  This book is a little lighter than the Cohen book, but it is
also faster paced, and will probably get you up and programming quicker
(also, it comes with a "student" version of a commercially available Ada
compiler).  This book is being used in a course I am auditing, and so far it
seems to be OK.

I have one at home called something like "Object Oriented Programming in
Ada95" by Smith (again, not sure on the author either).  This book came free
with my compiler.  I would only suggest that you get this one if are an
absolute beginner.  Otherwise, if you are going to be spending your own
money for a book, Cohen or Johnston will give you more bang for your buck.

I have evaluated others, but didn't think enough of them to suggest someone
actually pay money for them.

Good luck!

--
with Std_Disclaimer;  use Std_Disclaimer;
Signature.Put (Name => Ken Sodemann,
    E_Mail => kwsodema@avistainc.com
    Web => http://www.pcii.net/~stuffel
    Company_Web => http://www.avistainc.com);

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
@ 1998-01-15  0:00 ` Philip R Ventura
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Philip R Ventura @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <u4yDfWQI9GA.134@upnetnews03>,
Jon Seidman <hjs9307@email.msn.com> wrote:
>I am a computer science student, and I want to learn more languages.  Does
>anyone know of a good book from which to learn Ada?
>
>Thanks,
>Jon Seidman

Programming in Ada 95 by John G. P. Barnes is excellent both as a
reference and as a tutorial.  It is the book I use in teaching our
junior-level programming languages class here at SUNY Buffalo.

--
Phil Ventura			  phone:  645-3772
Teaching Assistant CS305	  email:  pventura@cs.buffalo.edu

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-15  0:00 ` Stanley R. Allen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stanley R. Allen @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Seidman

Jon Seidman wrote:

> I am a computer science student, and I want to learn more
> languages.  Does anyone know of a good book from which to
> learn Ada?

Check out the "books" section at http://www.adahome.com for
a collection of reviews of various Ada books.  I like the
Cohen book _Ada as a Second Language_ but its approach may
not be the best for a beginner: it explains ALL of Ada 95.

Another good start is to download an Ada 95 compiler.
Three are available: GNAT (http://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat),
AONIX (http://www.aonix.com), and AppletMagic (which
produces Java byte codes for the Java Virtual Machine in
your browser; see http://www.appletmagic.com).

There are versions of each of these for the PC or Unix.

--
Stanley Allen
mailto:s_allen@hso.link.com

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-16  0:00 ` Clyde Roby
From: Clyde Roby @ 1998-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Seidman (hjs9307@email.msn.com) wrote:
: I am a computer science student, and I want to learn more languages.  Does
: anyone know of a good book from which to learn Ada?

David Wheeler is the author of a good tutorial book,
Ada 95, The Lovelace Tutorial.
He's also the author of the same thing on the web
http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm; try it out!

Otherwise, John Barnes of the UK and Norm Cohen in the USA
(as well as others) have excellent Ada95 textbooks.

Clyde G. Roby, Research Staff Member
Institute for Defense Analyses        Phone: (703) 845-6666
1801 N. Beauregard Street             FAX:   (703) 845-6788/6848
Alexandria, VA 22311-1772             Email: CRoby@IDA.Org

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
@ 1998-01-16  0:00   ` Paul Van Bellinghen
From: Paul Van Bellinghen @ 1998-01-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Programming in Ada 95 by John G. P. Barnes is excellent both as a
> reference and as a tutorial.  It is the book I use in teaching our
> junior-level programming languages class here at SUNY Buffalo.

I do think Barnes could beef up his index a bit. It would make the book a whole
lot more useful.

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Paul  Van Bellinghen --]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Paul  Van Bellinghen
n:              Van Bellinghen;Paul
org:            Lockheed Martin Fairchild
email;internet: pvanbell@mhv.net
title:          Staff Analyst
note:           WebPage: www.mhv.net/~pvanbell
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

* Re: Does anyone know a good book for learning Ada?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-19  0:00 ` W. Larry Adams, Jr.
From: W. Larry Adams, Jr. @ 1998-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something else you may consider:

There is an on-line ADA95 tutorial which may be found through the DISA
Center for Computer Systems Engineering Information Clearinghouse (CFCSE-IC)
at http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/ (this is a DOD agency).  It seems to
cover the _basics_ well...

W. Larry Adams, Jr.  (adams_l@compsc.cs.mercer.edu)
Access Research Corporation