* Object Ada (Aonix)
@ 1998-02-12  0:00 Dominique Bouthinon
From: Dominique Bouthinon @ 1998-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there known bugs in Object Ada (Aonix) ?

thanks

--
Dominique Bouthinon
Atelier de BioInformatique - Universite Paris VI

* Re: Object Ada (Aonix)
@ 1998-02-12  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <34E32C78.41C6@snv.jussieu.fr>, Dominique Bouthinon <Dominique.Bouthinon@snv.jussieu.fr> writes:
> Are there known bugs in Object Ada (Aonix) ?

Yes, there are known bugs in all software shipping from all vendors.

Each vendor must make a decision regarding the risk of destabilizing
or delaying a given version of their software by introducing change.
Thus it is best to fix some mix of the most grievous and the best-
understood bugs for each release and gradually improve quality rather
than risk sudden decreases in quality by trying to fix _all_ bugs no
matter how ill-reported.

If you want to know if there are bugs which will affect your own
programming projects, it would be best to sign up for one or both
of the ObjectAda mailing lists (Intel and Unix) as outlined on their
Web site.  The ObjectAda Intel customers are particularly non-shy.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Object Ada (Aonix)
@ 1998-02-13  0:00   ` Dominique Bouthinon
From: Dominique Bouthinon @ 1998-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot.

Bye.

--

@ 1998-03-01  0:00 ` Bob Lusk
From: Bob Lusk @ 1998-03-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Bouthinon

My personal opinion:
Yes there are a number of bugs in ObjectAda.  At my workplace, we tried
using ObjectAda with limited success.  Support is slow in helping with
problems that surface.

If you have a reasonably small program, you may be successful.  If this
is new code and not reused Ada 83 code you have a better chance.
Debugger is flawed - You may have to debug with print statements.

Have you considered either Rational or Green Hills?  Is your application
real-time?

Dominique Bouthinon wrote:

> Are there known bugs in Object Ada (Aonix) ?
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Dominique Bouthinon
> Atelier de BioInformatique - Universite Paris VI
> 12, rue Cuvier 75005 PARIS (FRANCE)
> Email : Dominique.Bouthinon@snv.jussieu.fr
> fax   : 01 44 27 63 12

* Re: Object Ada (Aonix)
@ 1998-03-02  0:00   ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 1998-03-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob Lusk wrote in message <34FA2B79.FE54764@swbell.net>...
>My personal opinion:
>Yes there are a number of bugs in ObjectAda.  At my workplace, we tried
>using ObjectAda with limited success.  Support is slow in helping with
>problems that surface.
>
>If you have a reasonably small program, you may be successful.  If this
>is new code and not reused Ada 83 code you have a better chance.
>Debugger is flawed - You may have to debug with print statements.
>
>Have you considered either Rational or Green Hills?  Is your application
>real-time?

IMHO there is no better front end than that used by Aonix (ie the
Intermetrics front end) which if I remember correctly is the same one used
by Green Hills.  It routinely handles correct code that other compilers
cannot.  This doesn't mean that you are wrong, YMMV, just that the Aonix
product is pretty darn good all things considered, particularly -- for me --
in handling complex code.

Yes the debugger isn't really ready yet, but they are indeed working on it.

Pat Rogers
no relation to Aonix other than a user