From: Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: Compiling gnat into gcc-2.8.0
Date: 1998/02/26
Date: 1998-02-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Kevin Taylor wrote:

> I'm sure this has been discussed a billion times, but can someone point
> me to some decent instructions on how to compile gnat into gcc?
>
> I realize it has to be built at the same time as gcc, however, in the
> directions I received with the gnat distribution, I need to already have
> a version of gcc with ada support in order to compile gcc with ada
> support...?
>
> That doesn't make much sense, and I figure there's a way to do it from
> scratch.

Yes, this is correct. In the same way, you need a compiler with C
support before you can compile gcc to provide C support.

The difference is that a lot of systems come with a C compiler. Consider
installing gcc from sources on a vanilla Windows box, and you'll
appreciate the issues better.

You need a machine for which there is a binary distribution of GNAT.
Then you can cross-compile GNAT for your machine. From then on, you can
compile GNAT from source for each new release.

Another difference between gcc C and GNAT is that gcc C was deliberately
designed to compile with lots of different C compilers, while GNAT can
only be compiled with GNAT (not ObjectAda or any other Ada compiler).
This is because the internal compiler code relies on GNAT-specific
attributes (and there are probably other reasons). I doubt this will
change in the future (don't fix what aint broke), but as other Ada
compilers gain a wider distribution, it might be nice.

--
- Stephe