From: Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Linux/POSIX packages for GNAT
Date: 1998/02/23
Date: 1998-02-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> <<What is urgently missing for real Linux system development is Linux
> low-level access as well as an implementation of the full POSIX.5
> Ada API. Has this already been done somewhere or is any work on
> this in progress?
>
> How widely implemented is the POSIX.5 API (standardized Ada versions
> of the common Unix system calls) anyway?
> >>

> Interesting to see these two paragraphs next to one another. The first
> claims it is urgent to implement the full POSIX.5 Ada API. The second
> asks how widely implemented this package is.
>
> Perhaps the question should be answered before the urgency is declared :-)

In case it was not clear what I referred to:

I am at the moment a quite experienced and happy programmer using
a complete ISO C / POSIX.1 conforming development environment (Linux).
I am seriously considering to switch to Ada95, but I will not consider
Ada to be an attractive development language under Linux as long
as I do not know how to get the same rich library/kernel functionality
that I do currently have as a C programmer. The standard packages
required by Ada95 RM are alone not sufficient for real Unix application
development. In production quality application development,
the functionality of the full Linux kernel API should be easily
available. This includes the usual POSIX.1 functionality plus a
number of not-yet-POSIX-standardized functions such as sockets
and symlinks. Sure, I understand that I can always access any
libc function via Ada95 interface pragmas, but it obviously would
be much more convenient to have a native production quality Ada
API such as POSIX.5 available.

I have not yet found a large system (say a good high-performance
HTTP server) completely written in Ada95 for Linux that would
convince me that all the tools for doing such a project are
already available for Linux. A well-supported Ada95 equivalent
of the Linux libc seems to be the critical part.

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>