* TASH Won't Build
@ 1998-01-31  0:00 me
From: me @ 1998-01-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good Afternoon,

I have recently downloaded GNAT 3.10p1 for WinNT (I'm running
it on Win95), the latest version of Tcl/Tk, and the latest
version of TASH (7.61?), all for Win.  I have been following
the instructions in the installation file to the letter, but
when I get to the step where I try to build tash with
make, I get a syntax error on line 29 of the make file.

I have made no attempt to fix the makefile for the simple
reason that it should not be necessary to fix it.  After
all, I made no modifications to it at all.  So with that
in mind, does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

I've tried a make on one of the demo files in the TASH
distribution and I got a syntax error at the first line.

Of course, the demo programs do not build with gnatmake.

I only want to have access to the TK library from Ada.
Unfortunately, it looks like even that is asking for
too much.

If anyone has the bright idea of responding with "RTFM", please
don't.  I've read the FM, and as usual it has told me
absolutely nothing I needed to know.  I'm getting used to
it by now however...

Maybe more people would read FMs if the SFMs (S being for
Stupid), actually had something to do with the programs
they were attatched to.

Sorry for the last bit of insolence, but I'm losing it. I've
been following a tutorial which is innaccurate, I've had
to download GNAT and GDB twice, and even now GDB looks like
it's an alpha release (no native look & feel and half the
time it crashes when I try to load a file, and the help doesn't
work, and it displays C code) -- that's in a different email.
Just want to let you know that I've spent more time trying
to fix GNAT, GDB, and TASH than I have actually programming
in Ada!

*Sigh*

Please note that my email address is buggered to aovid
spammers, so please post answers here.  No doubt these answers
will prove useful to others who will have the misfortune
of trying to install GNAT, GDB, and TASH.

Thank You.

* Re: TASH Won't Build
@ 1998-02-05  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1998-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

me@myself.and.I.org wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have recently downloaded GNAT 3.10p1 for WinNT (I'm running
> it on Win95), the latest version of Tcl/Tk, and the latest
> version of TASH (7.61?), all for Win.  I have been following
> the instructions in the installation file to the letter, but
> when I get to the step where I try to build tash with
> make, I get a syntax error on line 29 of the make file.

This sounds like you've got another "make" in your path. In bash, do a
"type make"; if this doesn't show the make from the GNAT or Cygwin
distributions, you've got the wrong one, and will have to edit your PATH
definition.

> I have made no attempt to fix the makefile for the simple
> reason that it should not be necessary to fix it.  After
> all, I made no modifications to it at all.  So with that
> in mind, does anyone have any idea what the problem is?
>
> I've tried a make on one of the demo files in the TASH
> distribution and I got a syntax error at the first line.
>
> Of course, the demo programs do not build with gnatmake.

these symptoms can also be caused by problems with PATH. In general,
edit PATH to contain ONLY Windows and GNAT stuff; when everything works,
you can add back your other PATH stuff and see what breaks.

> I only want to have access to the TK library from Ada.
> Unfortunately, it looks like even that is asking for
> too much.
>
> If anyone has the bright idea of responding with "RTFM", please
> don't.  I've read the FM, and as usual it has told me
> absolutely nothing I needed to know.  I'm getting used to
> it by now however...
>
> Maybe more people would read FMs if the SFMs (S being for
> Stupid), actually had something to do with the programs
> they were attatched to.
>
> Sorry for the last bit of insolence, but I'm losing it. I've
> been following a tutorial which is innaccurate, I've had
> to download GNAT and GDB twice, and even now GDB looks like
> it's an alpha release (no native look & feel and half the

Nobody advertised that GDB would have a native look and feel, so don't
expect it!

> time it crashes when I try to load a file, and the help doesn't
> work, and it displays C code) -- that's in a different email.

You should use NT for any code developement work; 95 just isn't ready
for real time.

As for displaying C code, I'm not clear what you mean. The "main"
program for a GNAT-compiled Ada application is a short C file, so maybe
that is what you are seeing. But when you set a breakpoint in an Ada
file, surely you see that Ada code?

> Just want to let you know that I've spent more time trying
> to fix GNAT, GDB, and TASH than I have actually programming
> in Ada!

Perhaps you should consider other modes of programming; many people
write lots of code without getting into the debugger.

--
- Stephe