From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei@online.no>
Subject: Re: Bignum modular types in Ada95
Date: 1998/02/02
Date: 1998-02-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> <<Would any of the major compiler designers (especially the
> GNAT team) be interested in add such bignum support to their
> compiler? I think, this would be a very nice distinguishing
> feature over the competition and over C/C++/Java compilers!
> >>

> I am not sure why you think GNAT customers might be especially interested
> in such a capability, but so far we have seen zero demand from our customers
> for such a feature, so there is no interest so far.

Some would be interested I guess if suitable libraries were available.
However the party would have to show enough interest to be willing to
finance the libraries as well. Not many of those I fear.

I assume that there would be some performance enhancement in having
arbitrary precision (e.g. up to 4kb) over doing it in 32bit chunks with
an emulation library. If such an increase would be worthwhile for Ada
advocacy purposes I don't know.

It would be useless to have this feature if all applications called
emulation libraries in C. Or if the Ada code was translated from C.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
//    tarjei@online.no || voice +47 51 62 85 58