From: Marin David Condic <condicdiespammer@flinet.com>
To: "John J. Cupak Jr." <jcj@swl.msd.ray.com>
Subject: Re: Mission Critical Definition and Compliance
Date: 1998/02/01
Date: 1998-02-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John J. Cupak Jr. wrote:

> I have been asked to locate the *official* definition of "Mission
> Critical" software, together with the process for defining which
> language comply with it.
>
> I "know" that Ada is a Mission Critical (approved) language, but Java
> and C++ are not. Why? Who decides? Where is this published?
>
> Inquiring minds want to really know!
>
> Any pointers to the place(s) where this information resides would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is not going to be very helpful, but it is the truth:

One of the things you will discover on this quest is that the answer to
the question "What is mission-critical" is going to depend on who you
ask.

Lieutenant Colonel John A. (Drew) Hamilton, Jr., US Army, delivered a
talk at the last TriAda conference that dealt in part with this
question. I think this is available from the AdaIC somewhere - try this:
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/
Look in the past issues of their newsletters.

Since the DoD dropped the Ada mandate, we have been left with much
confusion and uncertainty about what is going to be O.K. and what is
not. Even the people involved don't really know where its going to go.

Good luck with the quest.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic

    "Languages don't kill people. Programmers do!"