From: "K. E. Garlington" <Kennie.E.Garlington@nospam.lmco.com>
Subject: Exception on System.Max_Digits
Date: 1998/01/30
Date: 1998-01-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

We have a case where two Ada83 compilers provide different results, and
we are trying to decide which is correct.

Both compilers have System.Max_Digits = 15. When we use Float_IO
to read the number

   -2627.097925618800

one vendor raises a Constraint_Error, the other doesn't. The vendor
of the compiler raising the error says that it is because the number
has too many digits; removing the final zero causes the exception to
be avoided. The other vendor accepts the number.

Is either vendor wrong?

Also, will System.Max_Digits apply to any floating-point type?