From: "Dr. Michael Paus" <Michael.Paus@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: Frank Petranka <fpetran@l10server.nswc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: portable GUI , Ada backend, best design?
Date: 1998/01/28
Date: 1998-01-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank Petranka wrote:

> There have been some suggestions that a Java GUI be combined with an Ada
> back end.  Is this possible in a single process?  That is, can an Ada
> service that has been compiled to object code (not byte code) call a Java
> service or vice versa?

Yes, the Java Native Interface (JNI) does the trick. You only need an Ada
interface to the JNI which is of course defined in C and not in Ada. I've
already done some simple examples this way on Linux and did not encounter
any serious problems, with the usual exception that having to write such
an interface is a lot of work to do.

> If so, which laguage must the "main" service be written in?

It can be any of the two. The JNI supports both directions.

Michael