From: Ralph Paul <repaul@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: About Ada...
Date: 1997/12/20
Date: 1997-12-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert S. White wrote:

> In article <67bijm$d3a@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>,
> ica2ph@alpha1.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de says...
> >
> >John Apa (wolfmountainranch@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
> >> Ada is used on almost every AC that Boeing delivers, not just the 777. And
> >> I believe that extends to the Airbus world also.
> >
> >Having in mind a recent speech of an Airbus manager displaying
> >his level of intelligence in a German TV interview I have my doubts.
>
>   I think John's point is that the major manufacturers of avionics
> for the commercial air transport market use Ada now and have used
> Ada for the last ten years in all new products.  Since I suspect
> (thanks to deja news) that he works for a different company than I,
> that would make at least two out of the biggest three avionics
> companies in the world.  Haven't seen postings from anyone from
> the third company.

Coming from a european "high performance aircraft" point of view, I can
say Ada has even replaced older languages in the last years and at least
on the
techincal side of things there is no change of this trend insight.
Actually the
Ada minded people are having an easier time now because
a.) compilers have become more reliable and performant
b.) experince in implementing real time has shown the benefits of Ada
c.) the systems have become alot more complex

For example the X-31 flight control system was done in Jovial. However
if the
program should ever be reactivated it is very likely that the fcs will
be done in
Ada.

Ralph Paul

	repaul@ibm.net