From: g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu
Subject: Re: ada language parsers needed
Date: 8 Dec 90 11:05:23 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <2420@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> In article <12198@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> metrics@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Metrics Research Team) writes:
>>
>>Hello out there,
>>
>>	Can someone please send me info. on where to obtain an ada language
>>parser utility.
>>	The place should be accessable through a mail ftp site if possible.

Try wsmr-simtel20.army.mil for the Pretty-Printer parser.

>>We have a very large scale system that we need help in obtaining some
>>metrics.
>>
> The NASA PrettyPrinter, on Simtel20 in the ASR, contains an Ada LR parser,
> which it needs to pretty-print a program. It also builds a tree of the
> input program, which it can manipulate to add e.g. certain kinds of
> comments.

BIG DITTOs for that code.  It is extremely generic.  I believe we've now
compiled it under Meridian, VAX Ada, and perhaps Janus.  It's clean (or at
least as clean as any parser can be.)

>  The nice thing about the one inside Pretty is
> that it's written in Ada and, since you have the source, you can make the
> "back end" do whatever you like. This product is not bad, was developed
> for NASA, and seems to be fairly decent Ada. It's in the public domain.

> Prof. Michael Feldman
> Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> The George Washington University
> Washington, DC 20052
> 202-994-5253
> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

A warning:  The Pretty-Printer is LARGE and uses several different files found
in the Simtel-20 Repository.  Since Simtel-20 is a DEC 20, the directory
structure are not what DOS/UNIX/VMS/etc.-types may be used to.

----- Professor of Computer Science --------------  * * * ----------Year--
----- Norfolk State University, -----------------  *Merry* ---------------
----- INTERNET:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu ------  *Christmas* -------------
----------These are MY views.... you may share them..*** -----------------