From: Michele Zundo <mzu@de.cri.dk>
To: ndavies@comp.brad.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Ada for MacOS/BeOS
Date: 1997/12/11
Date: 1997-12-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

N DAVIES wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm looking for an ada (83 or 95 but pref 95) compiler for MacOS or
>         BeOS.  I haven't got a 604 processor so I can't run machten, therefore
>         i'll need a compiler that runs in MacOS or BeOS.

I do not think  you need a 604 for MachTen, any PPCwill do. (older version of
Machten used to run even on 68xxx).
Anyway you do need a big amount of memory (48 Mb) to
run the GNAT on Machten  and  it might be expensive
for a student.

You should try to get the MPW based MeridianOpenAda
which is quite old discontinued, but is nevertheless fully
validated Ada83 Compiler. It support taskings and generics
and it's definitively good value for money (it used to
cost more than 1000$ when first come out in the 80's)

MeridianOpenAda compiler is on 10 FD (including MPW)
and came with manual and even libraries to create
MacOS applications (MacintoshEnviroment Lib)
It was produced by Meridian then bought by Verdix/Rational.
You could get it _VERY_ cheap from DH-Heath (Raytheon)
which sells to edu. (around 40 $)

However I just discovered that DC-Heath has been sold to
  http://www.hmco.com/ (Houghton Mifflin Companies)
and I could not get any info about this product
on their site so , since you are the second person this week
looking for it, I e-mailed for info. I'll let you know if I
get any info.

DC-Heath used to have a subsidiary in UK as well but
I do not have the phone.

Maybe you could  get the exact reference from the ADA FAQ.

Cheers

Michele

PS
I just realised that another solution would be to install MkLinux
on you PowerMac and GNAT then.

CRI (Computer Resources International) GmbH
HahnStrasse 70         Phone:  +49-(0)69-669-00852
D-60258                Fax:    +49-(0)69-666-8329
Frankfurt              e-mail: mzu@de.cri.dk