From: tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran)
Subject: task safe linked list?
Date: 1997/11/21
Date: 1997-11-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Is there a good way to use Protected Types to make a task safe linked
list?  I'd like to add/remove things on a dynamice set of lists with a
protected object to ensure serialized access to the links.  But where
could the protected object go?  Not in any one node because
insert/remove is a three-node operation.  Not in any one list root
because these lists are not rooted, but are linked groups, ie, objects
a,b,c are linked together as are d and e and I might add f to a,b,c or
to d,e, or remove b from the former and add it to the latter.  It
appears I must use a single global lock on "any fiddling with any
links in any list'.  Any other suggestions?