From: Randy Kosarik <randyk@access.hky.com>
Subject: Berkley Socket/ TCP IP
Date: 1997/11/15
Date: 1997-11-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I really appreciate the help I received on "deallocating" memory..

But, now onto more interesting things... If I get the terminology wrong,
I am reading/learning and working at the same time in this project.

  I am also in a Computer Networking class. We have a small weather
station that is connected to the serial port of the Unix server and
basically gives us wind speed, temp, wind direction, etc.. . From this
station we are in the process of building a "server" package in C. It is
going to utilize a Berkley socket. While C is the required language for
the server I thought why not make a client from Ada. It does not have to
do much more than transfer the data across a network using TCP/IP
protocol.

  I would really like to show an Ada project that can compare to the C
counterparts.

  Will this be possible in Ada?   And are there libraries that will
allow me to use winsock?

  How much more difficult would it be to make the code portable.  Three
OS's I have available are Win95, Unix System V, Linux.  I am assuming
that the socket libraries will be different on each platform. If limited
to one OS, I would like to start on Win95 since I will be working on the
Unix side with the server software. But, if Linux has more support
please tell me.

  Please point me in a direction that can get me started if this is
moderately possible.

  Thanks in advance,
-Randy