From: Jos De Laender <jdla@sh.bel.alcatel.be>
Subject: Cyclomatic complexity
Date: 1997/11/03
Date: 1997-11-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

--------------69525AF5E24

Hi,

Although I'm not sure if it is relevant, I first of all want to
mention that I'm active in development using VHDL. This is a
programming language with ADA roots, used especially in hardware
development. For it being a hardware description language, not too
many software principles are usually applied on it.

I read some stuff about measuring complexity using 'Mc Cabe's
cyclomatic complexity measurement' in software.
Although it seems quite nice on the level of one module, I have
difficulties to understand how the stuff glues when putting together
'modules' or 'subprograms'.

Suppose that I have :

A main program 'A' , with complexity 2 and integration complexity 2
A subprogram 'B' , with complexity 2 and integration complexity 2
A subprogram 'C' , with complexity 3 and integration complexity 2
A subprogram 'D' , with complexity 2 and integration complexity 1

'A' calls 'B' at one place and calls 'C' at two places.
'B' and 'C' both call 'D' at one place.

How should I calculate the total complexity of the whole program ?

Does the number of calls of one particular subprogram by one
particular subprogram influence the result ? How ?

Does the fact that a subprogram is separately verified or not influence
the result (Subprogram in a package or not) ? How ?

I would appreciate very much any clarification or pointer to such
a clarification. Hereby I put my hope especially on the ADA - guys ;-)

Kind regards.

--------------69525AF5E24

=== Expressed opinions are not necessarily those of Alcatel ===

     \\\|///      ir. Jos De Laender
     ( 0 0 )      Alcatel - SSD (Switching Systems Division)
   oo0-(_)-0oo    ASIC design - VA21
  \ \ALCATEL/ /   F. Wellesplein 1, B-2018 Antwerp, Belgium
    \ \   / /     E-mail          : mailto:jdla@sh.bel.alcatel.be
     \ \ / /
     o0 Y 0o      Alcatel Bell    : http://www.bel.alcatel.be
       \|/        Alcatel Telecom : http://www.alcatelecom.be
        *         Phone           : (32)(0) 3 240 74 61
                  Fax             : (32)(0) 3 240 99 47

--------------69525AF5E24--