* REQ: Ada '83 Booch Components
@ 1997-10-29  0:00 tmburr
From: tmburr @ 1997-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anybody tell me where to download the Ada '83 version of the Booch
Components (from Software Components with Ada by Grady Booch)?

Todd M. Burr

* Re: Ada '83 Booch Components
@ 1997-10-29  0:00 ` Arne Knutsen
From: Arne Knutsen @ 1997-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmburr@mail.ameritel.net wrote in message
<3456a69c.9584813@news.ameritel.net>...

>Can anybody tell me where to download the Ada '83 version of the Booch
>Components (from Software Components with Ada by Grady Booch)?
>
>Todd M. Burr

Try:
www.rivatech.com/booch

* Re: REQ: Ada '83 Booch Components
@ 1997-10-29  0:00 ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 1997-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last I heard (a few years ago), these were available from Booch as a
commercial product.  The price I recall was somewhere in $100..$1000.
I think that you can track him/them down through Rational, but I recall
that Rational did not own or market this product.

Al

tmburr@mail.ameritel.net wrote:

> Can anybody tell me where to download the Ada '83 version of the Booch
> Components (from Software Components with Ada by Grady Booch)?
>
> Todd M. Burr

* Re: Ada '83 Booch Components
@ 1997-10-29  0:00   ` Jack Beidler
From: Jack Beidler @ 1997-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arne Knutsen wrote:

> tmburr@mail.ameritel.net wrote in message
> <3456a69c.9584813@news.ameritel.net>...
> >
> >Can anybody tell me where to download the Ada '83 version of the Booch
> >Components (from Software Components with Ada by Grady Booch)?
> >
> >Todd M. Burr
> >

> Try:
> www.rivatech.com/booch

If you want a more complete set of component that make good use of private,
limited private, controlled, and tagged types written for Ada 95, try

    ftp://ftp.cs.uofs.edu/pub/Ada/cs2_ds.zip

--
John (Jack) Beidler, Ph.D.
Prof. of Computer Science               fax:  (717) 941-4250

* Re: REQ: Ada '83 Booch Components
@ 1997-11-01  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3456a69c.9584813@news.ameritel.net>, tmburr@mail.ameritel.net wrote:

>Can anybody tell me where to download the Ada '83 version of the Booch
>Components (from Software Components with Ada by Grady Booch)?

I don't know if they're available for free - did you contact Grady Booch?

Have you considered the Ada 95 Booch components, by David Weller?  Find the
URL at the Ada home page.

<http://www.adahome.com/>

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* Ada 83 Booch components
@ 1999-04-19  0:00 mikey
From: mikey @ 1999-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have the source for these, please?

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
@ 1999-04-19  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mikey <mike@aerodata.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does anyone have the source for these, please?

-- (C) Copyright 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 Grady Booch
-- All Rights Reserved
<snip>
-- Manufacturer:
-- Wizard Software
-- 2171 S. Parfet Court
-- Lakewood, CO 80227
-- 1-303-986-2405

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
@ 1999-04-20  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"mikey" <mike@aerodata.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Does anyone have the source for these, please?

Ask the author, Grady Booch.

<mailto:egb@rational.com>

* Ada 83 Booch components
@ 2000-03-20  0:00 Mikey
From: Mikey @ 2000-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-03-20  0:00 ` Vincent Marciante
From: Vincent Marciante @ 2000-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have been corresponding with Grady Booch regarding the original Ada 83
Booch components and, unbelievably, he no longer has a copy of them!  I
am trying to locate a copy.

If I find a copy, Mr. Booch is open (pun intended) to release them under
an open source license and David Botton has already offered to have them
on AdaPower (maybe they will just be mirrored - not sure).

I have sent email to a few people (I bet that you can guess one of
them;) but none who responded so far have access to a copy.

Making these components available to all would be great.  So, the first
person who can provide a copy will be mentioned on the AdaPower site as
being "the donor" :)

Vincent Marciante

@ 2000-03-21  0:00   ` Philip Anderson
From: Philip Anderson @ 2000-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Marciante wrote:

> I have been corresponding with Grady Booch regarding the original Ada 83
> Booch components and, unbelievably, he no longer has a copy of them!  I
> am trying to locate a copy.

We used Ada 83 Booch components on a past project, though I don't know
if I could find them now (lurking on some R1000 in the basement?).  I
remember we found the source surprisingly buggy and unrobust, looking
like straight, uncommented, translation from C/C++.

--
hwyl/cheers,
Philip Anderson

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
@ 2000-03-21  0:00   ` John J Cupak Jr
From: John J Cupak Jr @ 2000-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We've got 'em... now, if I can figure out if we can give up a copy.

John

Vincent Marciante wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been corresponding with Grady Booch regarding the original Ada 83
> Booch components and, unbelievably, he no longer has a copy of them!  I
> am trying to locate a copy.
>
> If I find a copy, Mr. Booch is open (pun intended) to release them under
> an open source license and David Botton has already offered to have them
> on AdaPower (maybe they will just be mirrored - not sure).
>
> I have sent email to a few people (I bet that you can guess one of
> them;) but none who responded so far have access to a copy.
>
> Making these components available to all would be great.  So, the first
> person who can provide a copy will be mentioned on the AdaPower site as
> being "the donor" :)
>
> Vincent Marciante
>
> Mikey wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have the source for these?

[-- Attachment #2: Card for John J Cupak Jr --]

begin:vcard
n:Cupak Jr;John J
tel;fax:978.858.4336
tel;work:978.858.1222
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Raytheon Company;Northeast Software Training
version:2.1
email;internet:John_J_Cupak@res.raytheon.com
title:Software Engineering Instructor
adr;quoted-printable:;;50 Apple Hill Road=0D=0AT3MN35;Tewksbury;MA;01876;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;9904
fn:John J Cupak Jr
end:vcard

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
@ 2000-03-21  0:00       ` Vincent Marciante
       [not found]       ` <CB07746D5B529B68.E788E1504EDF94BB.C535D5B8F606EB93@lp.airnews.net>
From: Vincent Marciante @ 2000-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> In article <38D7CB35.476AE4FA@res.raytheon.com>,
>   John J Cupak Jr <John_J_Cupak@res.raytheon.com> wrote:
> > --------------15C30E9028A9B195481ABA61
> >
> > We've got 'em... now, if I can figure out if we can give up a
> copy.
>
> Well of course you can't.

Yes he can.  He can

  1) ask the licensee of the software if they are willing
do provide a copy of their copy to Mr. Booch.
  2) come into contact with Mr. Booch and be
given authorization by him to make the copy.

> They are copyrighted, and absent a
> specific license from the copyright holder, you can't make a
> copy let alone give it to someone else. It is not good enough
> to hear third hand that Grady says it's OK with him (even if
> he is indeed the copyright holder of record).

Noone said what is good enough.  All that was asked
by both the first poster and myself) is whether
or not anyone still had access to the components.

(I should have been more clear in my hurried response
to the first post that I was only trying to find
someone who had access, _not_ have the components
copied or sent to myself or anyone, without
direct authorization from Mr. Booch.)

From: Vincent Marciante @ 2000-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should have been more clear in my hurried response
to the first post.  I was only trying to find
someone who still had access to the components,
_not_ have the components copied or sent to myself
or anyone, without direct authorization from Mr. Booch.

In any event, one source has been identified and the
process is in motion. :)  Mr. Booch and the source are
in contact (no pun intended - yet:)

If it so happens that the first identified source
can not, in the end, provide the componants, I will
send an _appropriate_ message to the group.

Sorry for the initial misstep:(

Respectly

Vincent Marciante

From: Vincent Marciante @ 2000-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The current version of the Ada 95 Booch Components can be found at
www.AdaPower.com (Simon Wright is continuing development) but are based
on Mr. Booch's later C++ components _not_ the
original Ada 83 components that are described in "Software Components
with Ada ...".

Robert B. Love wrote:

> Whatever happened to Dave Weller's rewrite of the Booch Components?
> Dave has pretty much left Ada but he must still have the code to
> make available.
>
> --
>  Bob Love
>  rlove@neosoft.com

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
@ 2000-03-22  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <38D7CB35.476AE4FA@res.raytheon.com>,
  John J Cupak Jr <John_J_Cupak@res.raytheon.com> wrote:
> --------------15C30E9028A9B195481ABA61
>
> We've got 'em... now, if I can figure out if we can give up a
copy.

Well of course you can't. They are copyrighted, and absent a

@ 2000-03-22  0:00     ` Andreas Schulz
From: Andreas Schulz @ 2000-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincent Marciante wrote:

> If it so happens that the first identified source
> can not, in the end, provide the componants, I will
> send an _appropriate_ message to the group.

This tribe of tapeworms like vdequenns.a:
Deque_Nonpriority_Nonbalking_Sequential_Unbounded_Unmanaged_Iterator
and its 500 companions ? They are still alive and happy around
here and doing their best (when appropriate for the job) to get
the space station up and going...That's the advantage of a
long-term project - you change commercial baselines only when
absolutely necessary...
If still in desperate need, I'd ask our responsibles to
contact Mr Booch..

Copyright header says :
-- (C) Copyright 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 Grady Booch
--  Manufacturer:
-- Wizard software, 2171 S. Parfet Court, Lakewood,
-- Colorado 80227 (1-303-987-1874)

A.Schulz

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
       [not found]       ` <CB07746D5B529B68.E788E1504EDF94BB.C535D5B8F606EB93@lp.airnews.net>
@ 2000-03-22  0:00       ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2000-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:49:06 GMT, Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <38D7CB35.476AE4FA@res.raytheon.com>,
>  John J Cupak Jr <John_J_Cupak@res.raytheon.com> wrote:
>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>> --------------15C30E9028A9B195481ABA61
>>
>> We've got 'em... now, if I can figure out if we can give up a
>copy.
>

>Well of course you can't. They are copyrighted, and absent a
>specific license from the copyright holder, you can't make a
>copy let alone give it to someone else. It is not good enough
>to hear third hand that Grady says it's OK with him (even if
>he is indeed the copyright holder of record).

If you have permission from the copyright holder to copy it,
you have permission to copy it. It doesn't matter whether it's
a formal license or whether you got it first hand. (How many people
have first hand approval from any of the Linux copyright holders
to copy Linux?) Now a formal license in the handwriting of the author
would make it clearer, but if the author tells you can copy it,
you can.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with

* Re: Ada 83 Booch components
@ 2000-03-23  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8bavjr$aik1@news.cis.okstate.edu>,
  dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org wrote:
> >Well of course you can't. They are copyrighted, and absent a
> >specific license from the copyright holder, you can't make a
> >copy let alone give it to someone else. It is not good enough
> >to hear third hand that Grady says it's OK with him (even if
> >he is indeed the copyright holder of record).
>
> If you have permission from the copyright holder to copy it,
> you have permission to copy it.

That's what we mean by a specific license to copy!

> It doesn't matter whether it'
> a formal license

It needs to be formal in a legal sense, otherwise there is a
legitimate course of copyright action. Of course you probably
are interpreting formal a bit wrong here. It does not have to
be a signed document, for instance a verbal commitment is
probably good enough if provable.

> or whether you got it first hand.

Well here you have to be careful. If the copyright holder
publishes a general license, then that's fine, but what I
was warning of here is that it is not good enough to read
on CLA a message from A saying that B has said it is OK!

> (How many people
> have first hand approval from any of the Linux copyright
holders
> to copy Linux?)

Anyone accessing the Linux sources or a prepackaged binary
version of Linux obtains a copy of the license
agreement that allows this copying. All Linux copyright
holders have assented to the issuing of this license.

If you were to get a copy of Linux from the combined copyright
holders that had a proprietary license (rather than the GPL),
you would NOT be able to copy it. In fact this is unlikely,
because it would be very difficult to get 100% of the Linux
copyright holders to agree on such a distribution.

> Now a formal license in the handwriting of the author
> would make it clearer, but if the author tells you can copy
                                                 ^^^
there's the important word :-)

> it, you can.

The handwriting is irrelevant, a license is formal precisely
if it meets the legal requirements for a license.

If you meet Joe in the street, and he tells you, sure, go ahead
and copy X (in which he holds a copyright interest), and there
is no evidence of any kind of this interchange, and no apparent
reason for Joe to have given this permission, Joe would likely
prevail in a subsequent course of copyright action (your defence
that you thought Joe had given you permission might be a
reasonable explanation, but I doubt any court would find it
a valid license given the standards of proof involved here.

People often are too sloppy in understanding when they can and
can not make copies. I have seen plenty of court cases result
from such sloppiness.

@ 2000-03-23  0:00           ` Vincent Marciante
From: Vincent Marciante @ 2000-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

<snip>

> Well here you have to be careful. If the copyright holder
> publishes a general license, then that's fine, but what I
> was warning of here is that it is not good enough to read
> on CLA a message from A saying that B has said it is OK!

Well, just for the record, noone who responded stating that they do have
access to the components has emailed me a copy.
I wonder if this warning was the cause or may it was simply obvious that
that would be a completely wrong thing to do.  ;)

<snip>

> If you meet Joe in the street, and he tells you, sure, go ahead
> and copy X (in which he holds a copyright interest), and there
> is no evidence of any kind of this interchange, and no apparent
> reason for Joe to have given this permission, Joe would likely
> prevail in a subsequent course of copyright action (your defence
> that you thought Joe had given you permission might be a
> reasonable explanation, but I doubt any court would find it
> a valid license given the standards of proof involved here.

Which are you implying here?  Is it that
1) Joe might be deceitful (I doubt it;) or that
2) you must verify that Joe is really Joe or
3) something else.