* Object Ada: In-line assembler?
@ 1997-10-29  0:00 David Starling
From: David Starling @ 1997-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The documentation for my Special Edition version of Object Ada indicates
that the compiler will accept in-line assembler via the
MACHINE_OPERATIONS_386 (I think) intrinsic package.  However I can't
find any documentation for the syntax.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,
David

* Re: Object Ada: In-line assembler?
@ 1997-10-30  0:00 ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 1997-10-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Starling wrote in message <3457EAB0.3FEBBF9E@gate.net>...
>The documentation for my Special Edition version of Object Ada indicates
>that the compiler will accept in-line assembler via the
>MACHINE_OPERATIONS_386 (I think) intrinsic package.  However I can't
>find any documentation for the syntax.
>
>Can anyone give me a clue?
>
>Thanks,
>David

Look at the file m386r.ads in <objectada dir>\lib\src.

It's all there in gory detail.  Be careful.  You have to think like an
assembly language programmer when mixing Ada and instrinsic source
statements.  If you get any messages out of the code generator about invalid
operands, you've violated this mindset, and will probably need to declare a
local copy of what you're trying to reference.

That kind of thing aside, it's a very usable package - I hardly ever
interface to assembly code any more, and then it's typically a matter of not
wanting to bother rewriting some existing assembly code that I can reuse as
is.

- Ed Falis

Aonix