* AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-21 14:54 Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-11-21 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does someone have something like that ?
It is just for updating the Web client in the Language Popularity
Index tool.
TIA
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-21 20:36 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2011-11-21 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 21/11/2011 15:54, Gautier write-only a �crit :
> Does someone have something like that ?
> It is just for updating the Web client in the Language Popularity
> Index tool.
I have it, for a private application (management of Adalog's courses
registration)

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)
Adalog a d�m�nag� / Adalog has moved:
Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-21 21:34 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2011-11-21 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 21, 3:54 pm, Gautier write-only <gautier_niou...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Does someone have something like that ?
> It is just for updating the Web client in the Language Popularity
> Index tool.

The YAMI4 project contains a set of services, one of them being a
management console with GUI implemented in terms of the embedded AWS
server.
The Windows binary version of all services, including the GUI
management console and compiled with GNAT GPL 2011 is available on the
project website:

http://www.inspirel.com/yami4/

So, yes, it is possible to do.

It is true, however, that compiling AWS on Windows requires a bit of
investment due to the fact that the build system is based on utilities
from the CygWin package. It is a big and very heavy dependency
especially for those users who have no other reason to install this
package.

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.msobczak.com * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-21 22:32 ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-11-21 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the replies. I am sorry not having been more precise.
Actually I am looking for the result the install process, that is the
following system-dependent files
  aws-translator-conversion.adb
  aws-os_lib.ads
  aws-net.adb
  aws-net-thin.ads
  aws-net-thin.adb
  aws-net-ssl.ads
  aws-net-ssl.adb
  aws-net-std.ads
  aws-net-std.adb
and the following library:
  libaws_win32.a
Well, these are the files of a 2008 version that I have succeeded
having working (and for HTTP client only) after an insane amount of
hacking effort. So, perhaps there are less or more files than listed
above.
Cheers
Gautier

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-22 15:03   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2011-11-22 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Sobczak

Le 21/11/2011 22:34, Maciej Sobczak a �crit :
> It is true, however, that compiling AWS on Windows requires a bit of
> investment due to the fact that the build system is based on utilities
> from the CygWin package. It is a big and very heavy dependency
> especially for those users who have no other reason to install this
> package.

I think that it should not be very difficult to create a script to
configure, build and install AWS on Windows. If something like this
exits and you are willing to contribute I could put it into the repository.

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-23 10:56     ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-11-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 nov, 16:03, Pascal Obry wrote:

> I think that it should not be very difficult to create a script to
> configure, build and install AWS on Windows.

Good news if it is easy.
It would be a fantastic "plus" for AWS and Ada as well to fill this
"missing 1%" in the AWS configuration.
A good way to celebrate 10 years (or more ?) of AWS.
Cheers
Gautier

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-23 21:36       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2011-11-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gautier write-only

Hi Gautier,

> Good news if it is easy.
> It would be a fantastic "plus" for AWS and Ada as well to fill this
> "missing 1%" in the AWS configuration.
> A good way to celebrate 10 years (or more ?) of AWS.

It will be 12 on January 2012 :)

@ 2011-11-24 22:58   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2011-11-24 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is true, however, that compiling AWS on Windows requires a bit of
> investment due to the fact that the build system is based on utilities
> from the CygWin package. It is a big and very heavy dependency
> especially for those users who have no other reason to install this
> package.

I hear that; I wouldn't have CygWin on my computer if not for trying
to compile AWS.
IMO, Having that dependency makes AdaCore (and, by extension, Ada)
look bad; as if to say:
"Hey we have our own config/build system, but it's not good enough to
handle the compile/install by itself!"

* Re: AWS built for Windows / GNAT GPL 2011
@ 2011-11-25  1:59     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-11-25  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> writes:

>> It is true, however, that compiling AWS on Windows requires a bit of
>> investment due to the fact that the build system is based on utilities
>> from the CygWin package. It is a big and very heavy dependency
>> especially for those users who have no other reason to install this
>> package.
>
> I hear that; I wouldn't have CygWin on my computer if not for trying
> to compile AWS.
> IMO, Having that dependency makes AdaCore (and, by extension, Ada)
> look bad; as if to say:
> "Hey we have our own config/build system, but it's not good enough to
> handle the compile/install by itself!"

Actually, what AdaCore says is "we have our own config/build system that
depends only on POSIX utilities".

The problem is you are trying to build on an operating system that does
not follow the POSIX standard; of course that causes problems.

--
-- Stephe