* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
@ 2006-06-29 15:47 Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2006-06-29 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada, Chris L

I would suggest that you look at Ada 2005 Rationale authored by John
Barnes. It is at http://adaic.org/standards/05rat/html/Rat-TTL.html

AV

>>> "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> 6/29/2006 7:09 AM >>>
Will the below book help me?

   Ada 95 Rationale : The Language - The Standard Libraries (Lecture
Notes in Computer
   Science) (Paperback) by John Barnes (Editor)

* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
       [not found]       ` <1151593029.954815.85940@d56g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-06-29 20:35         ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-06-29 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:
> I've ordered hardcopies of both of these books:
>
> http://www.adahome.com/Resources/refs/rat95.html
> http://www.adahome.com/rm95/

I find having them available on-line (with the RM also on my computer
because it comes with AdaGIDE) sufficient. Personally, I find the
descriptions in the ARM to do a good job of explaining what the standard
library packages do and how to use them.

--
Jeff Carter
"I unclog my nose towards you."

* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
       [not found] <1151582487.773268.282460@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>
       [not found] ` <1151590178.473111.61090@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-06-30  1:36 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2006-06-30  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there any easy way to do this? Are there any good Internet sites,
> books, should I do frequent Internet searchs, or/and should I post
> here. I usually like examples in making choices about what to use in my
> code. For example, how do I use ada.directories.

The best place I have found is in the language reference manual section on
Annex A.
I just peruse the index to see what is available.

For Ada 95 it is here:

http://www.adaic.org/standards/95lrm/html/RM-A.html

For Ada 2005 it is here:

http://www.adaic.org/standards/05rm/html/RM-A.html

You can find versions you can download by following links from:

http://www.adaic.org/standards/index.html

Steve
(The Duck)

@ 2006-06-30  6:59           ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2006-06-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> Chris L wrote:
>> I've ordered hardcopies of both of these books:
>>
>> http://www.adahome.com/Resources/refs/rat95.html
>> http://www.adahome.com/rm95/
>
> I find having them available on-line (with the RM also on my computer
> because it comes with AdaGIDE) sufficient. Personally, I find the
> descriptions in the ARM to do a good job of explaining what the standard
> library packages do and how to use them.

The only drawback with the ones provided with AdaGIDE is that the LRM
section numbers don't exactly match the actual RM section numbers at
some points. I've been caught out with this once - embarrassing too, it
was on the Ada Auth email! lol :-)

Cheers
-- Martin

@ 2006-06-30 15:54 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-06-30 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:

> Is there any easy way to do this?

"this" = "Learn about all the different packages"

If you mean "all the _standard_ packages in Ada 2005", the only place
is at the moment is the Ada 2005 reference manual, at
http://www.adaic.com/standards/ada05.html (found by Google).

> Are there any good Internet sites, books, should I do frequent
> Internet searchs, or/and should I post here.

If you mean "all the Ada packages available anywhere", then yes, you
need to do Google searches, and read whatever documentation you find.

> I usually like examples in making choices about what to use in my
> code. For example, how do I use ada.directories.

Ada.Directories is new in Ada 2005, so an Ada 95 book won't talk about
it. After Ada 2005 is finally approved, there may be some books
written about it.

> I noticed nothing in the http://www.adapower.com/faq/ book list
> addressed this?
>
> Over a 16 year period, I have accumulated 6 books on Ada and none of
> them cover the packages in great detail.

That's because Ada.Directories is an Ada 2005 package.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
@ 2006-06-30 22:16   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2006-06-30 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stephen Leake" <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote in message
> "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:
> > I usually like examples in making choices about what to use in my
> > code. For example, how do I use ada.directories.
>
> Ada.Directories is new in Ada 2005, so an Ada 95 book won't talk about
> it. After Ada 2005 is finally approved, there may be some books
> written about it.

John Barnes' book, "Programming in Ada 2005" is available now. See
http://www.adaic.com/learn/textbook.html for details. John gave me a copy at
the recent Ada Europe show, and my desk has sagged considerably ever
since.... :-)

Section 21.8 covers Ada.Directories. (It's fairly short, actually, there is
a lot of the same material in the section 7.4 of the Ada 2005 Rationale:
http://www.adaic.com/standards/05rat/html/Rat-7-4.html. That's not
surprising, as John wrote both books.)

The nice thing about John's book is that it covers the entire Ada 2005
language. The other materials cover just the new stuff (like Directories and
Containers), which is fine for old Ada hands, but newcomers are better off
seeing the big picture.

I also highly recommend Norm Cohen's book "Ada as a Second Language" (see
the same listing of textbooks for details). There are also a number of
downloadable books available.

                          Randy Brukardt.

* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
@ 2006-07-02 14:55     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-07-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> John Barnes' book, "Programming in Ada 2005" is available now. See
> http://www.adaic.com/learn/textbook.html for details. John gave me a copy at
> the recent Ada Europe show, and my desk has sagged considerably ever
> since.... :-)

Hmm. The Addison-Wesley/Benjamin Cummings website says the book will
be available in August. I guess they had some schedule slip.

But it's good to know there is a book on Ada 2005.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
@ 2006-07-02 15:07       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2006-07-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake

Stephen Leake a �crit :

> Hmm. The Addison-Wesley/Benjamin Cummings website says the book will
> be available in August. I guess they had some schedule slip.

No schedule slip, I have it since 2 or 3 weeks now.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: How To Learn About All The Different Packages
@ 2006-07-02 16:06       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-02 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> writes:
>
>> John Barnes' book, "Programming in Ada 2005" is available now. See
>> http://www.adaic.com/learn/textbook.html for details. John gave me a copy
>> at the recent Ada Europe show, and my desk has sagged considerably ever
>> since.... :-)
>
> Hmm. The Addison-Wesley/Benjamin Cummings website says the book will
> be available in August. I guess they had some schedule slip.

Order www.amazon.de - mine has allready arrived.

Martin

PS: The other amazon's might have the book available as well ;-) .
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net