From: "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <nospam@gsg.eds.com>
Subject: Re: True confessions RE:Multiple Inheritance
Date: 1997/10/09
Date: 1997-10-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Matthew Heaney wrote:

> Ada has been bashed for everything.  I still haven't figured out why, but
> in every shop I've visited, there's always someone who thinks Ada isn't
> good enough.

Of course Ada isn't good enough: what language is? But if it's better
than
the language that the basher is pushing, I'll use Ada. I will still be
aware
of it's defects, and possibly know of more defects than the basher does,
but
unless I have a superior alternative on the platform I'm using ...

> (In fact, right now I'm working on a project where the
> designer tried to "simulate" inheritance in Ada 83, and the result is a
> bloody mess - a total obfuscation of the language.)

A general problem with newbies is that the try to write in "x" as though
it were "y". PL/I is a clean language, but some of the ugliest code I've
ever
seen was PL/I code written by people who were still thinking FORTRAN.

> So sally forth, and don't give up!

I don't know Sally and have never used FORTH <g, d & r>

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,
user smetz. Do not reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org