* Free Ada95 metrics parser (repost from other newsgroup)
@ 1997-10-05  0:00 David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1997-10-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: New version of CCCC (free software metric analysis tool)
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 22:47:10 +0800

This notice is to announce the release of version 2.1.2 of CCCC.

CCCC is a completely free tool for analysis of source code in the
languages C, C++, Java, Ada-83 and Ada-95.  The tool analyses a
body of source code and generates HTML reports reporting on
numeric attributes of the content of the source code.

The following features have been added since version 2.1.1:

	detailed tables relating to individual modules are in
	 separate HTML reports, with a summary report for the
         overall project
	 (this feature was added as the single monolithic report
	 generated by previous versions was found to consume
	 excessive resources when loaded by standard web
	 browsers)
	added support for four metrics from the metrics suite for
	 object oriented design proposed by Chidamber and Kemerer
	added some explanatory material on metrics to the summary
	 report

The major new feature added in version 2.1.1 was support for Ada
and Java.

The reports generated include colour highlighting to attract
attention to figures which exceed user configurable thresholds.
It also includes HTML links leading from the detailed tabulations
of member functions and relationships of each module to the
source files where those functions and relationships are declared
and/or defined.

The metrics reported fall into three groups:

1) classical procedural metrics: lines of code, cyclomatic
   complexity, and ratios of these two measures to lines of
   comment, summed over the project as a whole, over each module
   and over each function

2) Henry and Kafura's information flow metrics: fan-in, fan-out
   and the information flow measure IF4, summed over the project
   as a whole and over each module

3) Chidamber and Kemerer's metrics for object oriented design:
   weighted methods per class, depth of inheritance tree, number
   of children, coupling between objects. [C&K propose two other
   metrics, response for class and lack of cohesion of methods,
   which the present version of CCCC is not able to collect].

CCCC is built using the PCCTS parser generator, and is available
from the following locations:

Source only: (about 80k)
ftp://www.fste.ac.cowan.edu.au/pub/tlittlef/cccc-2.1.2-src.tar.gz

Source + precompiled binary: (about 400k)
ftp://www.fste.ac.cowan.edu.au/pub/tlittlef/cccc-2.1.2-linux.tar.gz
ftp://www.fste.ac.cowan.edu.au/pub/tlittlef/cccc-2.1.2-dos.zip

CCCC is completely free, but I would value feedback from users (and
non-users),
as the program has been developed as part of my MSc research project.

--
Tim Littlefair                      MITS(WA)  / Edith Cowan University
Please check out the following location home page for my MSc project on

* Re: Free Ada95 metrics parser (repost from other newsgroup)
@ 1997-10-07  0:00 ` William A Whitaker
From: William A Whitaker @ 1997-10-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Weller

From the posting offering CCCC for Ada I downloaded the following:

> ftp://www.fste.ac.cowan.edu.au/pub/tlittlef/cccc-2.1.2-dos.zip

I got a program that works fine, but is for C code, not Ada.  Where did
I go wrong?  Maybe I just got the command line wrong and it supports Ada
although the text does not indicate that.

If so what is the command line for analyzing an Ada program (83 or 95)
in a file PROG.ADA in the same directory as all the CCCC code
(presumably the simplest case).  Does the Ada code have to be broken out
into separate files in the GNAT way, or will one big file be acceptable?

Thanks from one who does not use C.

Whitaker