From: Dick Botting JB341 <dick@doc.csusb.edu>
Subject: Re: Make what user wants?
Date: 1997/09/23
Date: 1997-09-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> In article <341F97D4.543C@dgb.nl>, Bert Bril <bert@dgb.nl> wrote:
>
> > Ell wrote:
> > > You are seriously delusional if you do not realize that _in general_
> > > people know what they want.  Not that it's always best for them, but
> > > generally they do know what they want/desire.
> > >
> ...deleted

Yep they always know what they want.
Anecdote....

The user asked that the new system print out on paper
about twenty pages of figures.   We said OK.... Are you
sure that you want twenty pages offigures.  The Client
said yes...

So we then asked... what do you do with these figures, and
the client says... well we add up the first and last columns
and if the first total is bigger than the other total then
I have to phone up ....yada yada yada...

So we asked:  Could the computer add up the numbers for you?

and the client said:
        Can it do that?

As Ell said... sometimes people know what they want, but
it may not be what they ask for, or what is best for them...

By the way... we got the output down to a single line...

--
dick botting     http://www.csci.csusb.edu/dick/signature.html
Disclaimer:      CSUSB may or may not agree with this message.