From: "Samuel T. Harris" <s_harris@hso.link.com>
Subject: Re: How do I insert a carriage return into a multi-line text box (ObjectAda)?
Date: 1997/09/18
Date: 1997-09-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

> Samuel T. Harris wrote:
> >
> > There's the rub. Just what a compiler uses to delimite line, page, and
> > EOF
> > are not specified by the RM. While ASCII.LF is a pretty safe bet, it
> > still introduces risk.
>
> It's worse than that; the operating system may not use *any* characters
> as end-of-line or end-of-page delimiters. Mainframes typically have
> record-oriented file systems, and any character can appear anywhere in a
> record.

So true, so true. Shmuel here correctly points out that what a compiler
uses for line and page delimiters may not be used by the operating
system (especially if the OS uses none at all). Getting back to the
original question, we have no guarantee that the the line delimiter
used by the compiler will cause the desired multi-line output in
the dialog box. I have been hit with that one while trying to
put multi-line text in a single line dialog box (by mistake) and
getting annoying <LF> kinds of trash on a single line.

However, it is a pretty safe bet and a good first stab at the problem
in any situation. If it doesn't work for some reason, then find
which delimiters do work an use them instead.

--
Samuel T. Harris, Senior Engineer
Hughes Training, Inc. - Houston Operations