From: "W. Wesley Groleau x4923" <wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com>
To: whitaker@erols.com
Subject: Re: SI Units Solicitation - Upgrade from comments
Date: 1997/09/17
Date: 1997-09-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Forgive me if I'm repeating someone else.  I had a News hiccup
and lost everything in this thread except the original message.

Regarding a scientist's suggestion on packing the exponents into
eight bits each:  You could define exponents as

   type xxx is range -127 .. 127;

allowing the compiler to choose whether to use 8 bits or more
(and indirectly, the user that chooses the compiler).

In the generic version, you could even allow the user to specify
the type of the exponent.

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be
                    wwgrol AT pseserv3.fw.hac.com

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!