From: "Gary L. Scott" <scottg@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Fortran vs C++ vs. etc (has little to do with realtime anymore)
Date: 1997/09/16
Date: 1997-09-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The problem of developing a GUI in Fortran is one of designing an
appropriate API for Fortran.  This used to be done quite commonly
(language-specific API bindings).  I have developed "graphical user
interfaces" in Fortran that were highly functional (a little slow, it
was 10 years ago) and very easy to develop because the API was designed
"appropriately".  The problem is really one of UNIX/Windows APIs being
"low-level" C-oriented APIs.  It is great that Fortran is being extended
in ways which allow it to be able to call other languages and APIs
designed for other languages, however, I shouldn't have to.  OS or
compiler vendors should supply language tailored API bindings.  It's
more work for them, but a lot less work for me, as an application
developer who just wants to produce a useful product without the hassle
of inter language communication which requires me to essentially know
two (or more) languages, usually one of which has an appalling syntax
that makes me cringe).  I vote for a reduction in complexity (the
K.I.S.S. principle) in the area of OS API calls from Fortran (or PASCAL
or COBOL or PL/1 or <insert legacy language here>. Is anybody
listening?  Come on, there's only 1500 or so WIN API calls, how much
work could that be...).