From: Bertrand Meyer <Bertrand.Meyer@eiffel.com>
Subject: Re: New copying license for classes/modules: CGPL
Date: 1997/09/16
Date: 1997-09-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> However, with Ada, the issue of generics does arise, not because text is
> copied, but because the code is copied into your program, and for GNAT we
> use a specially modified version of the GPL for the library that makes
> clear that generics do not cause a problem:

As far as I understand the discussion, the problem will not
arise for Eiffel. The language is designed so that the code of
generic classes need not be duplicated for different
"generic derivations" of the same generic class
(i.e. different types obtained by providing different generic
parameters, as in LIST [BOAT] and LIST [PERSON]).
Our implementation, and I believe others too, indeed do not
duplicate the code in such cases. Nor is there any need to
"copy the code into your program".

(Please note that this observation includes no criticism or even
mention of Ada; its intention is simply, since Robert Dewar's
message was cross-posted to comp.lang.eiffel, to address his
point insofar as they apply to Eiffel.)

More generally I think that the idea of  adapting the Gnu
Public License to cover reusable O-O components is excellent.

--
Bertrand Meyer, ISE Inc.
ISE Building, 2nd floor, 270 Storke Road, Goleta CA 93117