* GNAT Need StackTrace on unhandled exception
@ 1997-09-16  0:00 George Riley
From: George Riley @ 1997-09-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using GNAT3.09 on SunSparc Solaris, and wonder how to get a
stack trace on an unhandled exception.  In a former job, we used
verdix Ada and Alsys Ada, and both give a nice stack trace if the
main program exits with an unhandled exception, all the way up
the stack to the offending line of code.  On GNAT, I just get
"CONSTRAINT ERROR".

Thanks.
George

* Re: GNAT Need StackTrace on unhandled exception
@ 1997-09-17  0:00 ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 1997-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Riley <riley@cc.gatech.edu> writes:
> I am using GNAT3.09 on SunSparc Solaris, and wonder how to get a
> stack trace on an unhandled exception.

You will have to run the program under a debugger, e.g. GDB. Set
breakpoint at __gnat_unhandled_exception, and when the breakpoint is
reached, check the stack.
--
aaro@iki.fi

* Re: GNAT Need StackTrace on unhandled exception
@ 1997-09-17  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<I am using GNAT3.09 on SunSparc Solaris, and wonder how to get a
stack trace on an unhandled exception.  In a former job, we used
verdix Ada and Alsys Ada, and both give a nice stack trace if the
main program exits with an unhandled exception, all the way up
the stack to the offending line of code.  On GNAT, I just get
"CONSTRAINT ERROR".>>

Questions like this are best addressed to chat@gnat.com where you will
find lots of GNAT users who can help with this kind of question. Briefly,
you should update to the latest version of GNAT, and then use a
break exception constraint_error command in the debugger.

* Re: GNAT Need StackTrace on unhandled exception
@ 1997-09-18  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aaro says

<<You will have to run the program under a debugger, e.g. GDB. Set
breakpoint at __gnat_unhandled_exception, and when the breakpoint is
reached, check the stack.>>

No that's wrong advice, if you breakpoint at __gnat_unhandled_exception, the
stack will in general be destroyed.

Best thing is to get the latest version of GDB, and use the command

  break exception

* Re: GNAT Need StackTrace on unhandled exception
@ 1997-09-22  0:00 ` Steve Gibson
From: Steve Gibson @ 1997-09-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Riley wrote:

> I am using GNAT3.09 on SunSparc Solaris, and wonder how to get a
> stack trace on an unhandled exception.  In a former job, we used
> verdix Ada and Alsys Ada, and both give a nice stack trace if the
> main program exits with an unhandled exception, all the way up
> the stack to the offending line of code.  On GNAT, I just get
> "CONSTRAINT ERROR".

I started a thread on this a while back by asking the same
question...the answer is "sortof.."

check deja news for details

--
Steve Gibson