From: "Marc A. Criley" <crileym@vfb23.mds.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: CSEIC News Briefs, W/E Sept. 5, 1997
Date: 1997/09/08
Date: 1997-09-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I just wanted to add a comment on the JWID effort referred to below.
While it was not explicitly mentioned in the CSEIC excerpt or the
original GCN article, one component of JWID was NWCS (NSFS Warfare
Control System -- NSFS = Naval Surface Fire Support).

The purpose of NWCS is Fire Coordination, handling incoming calls for
fire and redirecting them to various weapon systems to execute.  For
JWID, two of the three weapon systems were stubbed out, while the
third consisted of the Engagement Planning & Control (EPC) segment of
the Advanced Tomahawk Weapon Control System (ATWCS).  EPC generates
an over-the-water route for a Tomahawk missile, and manages and
monitors the missile during preparation and power-up, until ordering
the Launch Control system to initiate its launch.

The EPC software demonstrated at JWID was an alpha version of the
second generation of ATWCS EPC (locally referred to as the EPC
Rearchitecture), written in Ada 83, that besides exploiting the usual
features of Ada relies heavily on Ada tasking.  According to the
engineers who integrated NWCS and demonstrated it at JWID 97, EPC
performed flawlessly throughout the scenario.

Mainstream development of EPC has progressed significantly since
that alpha release in June, and we've had positive experience with
it within ATWCS.  Plans are underway to migrate to Ada 95 at an
opportune time, with the implementation currently utilizing various
techniques to facilitate that migration and exploit Ada 95 features.

Marc A. Criley
Chief Software Architect
Lockheed Martin M&DS
(610) 354-7861
marc.criley@lmco.com

-- The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those   --
-- of Lockheed Martin or the ATWCS community.  It's just that I and --
-- my team did the EPC Rearchitecture and we're proud of it! :-)    --

<excerpts excised>