From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei@online.no>
Subject: Re: C's register keyword
Date: 1997/09/06
Date: 1997-09-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tristan Ludowyk wrote:

> is there an ada equivelent to 'register' in C/C++?

You have the pragma optimize which is supposed to come in three
flavours:
pragma optimize(time);
pragma optimize(space);
pragma optimize(off);

The Ada 95 Reference Manual says that the pragma "applies until the end
of the immediately enclosing declarative region, or for a pragma at the
place of compilation_unit, to the end of the compilation."

The register keyword in C is considered obsolete. A compiler is supposed
to be better at allocating registers than most humans.

If you think the register keyword is sacred in C, read the GCC manual.
If my memory serves me right they say that they ignore it or strongly
dissaprove of its use.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen