* Re: Cursor Position
       [not found]   ` <5um5pd$oih$1@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
@ 1997-09-05  0:00     ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 1997-09-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Midnight Bandito wrote:

> Oh yeah, sorry. I'm using UNIX with GNAT.

Check out the curses or termcap library. It may very well be that it
provides what you need.

If they don't then it is time to use escape sequences to obtain the
cursor position. Since most Unix terminals these days are VTxxx
compatible then you should have a look at any VTxxx programmers manuals.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
//    tarjei@online.no || voice +47 51 62 85 58

@ 1997-09-07  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-09-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

i<<Oh yeah, sorry. I'm using UNIX with GNAT.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark.>>

Try and get in the habit of being very precise about such things. GNAT is
available on at least 15 different versions of Unix, and the compilers are
quite different in some cases, as are the runtime environments. We need
to know

a) what machine
b) what operating system and version
c) what version of gnat (run with -gnatv if you don't know)

* Re: Cursor Position
@ 1997-09-13  0:00       ` The Midnight Bandito
From: The Midnight Bandito @ 1997-09-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: a) what machine
: b) what operating system and version
: c) what version of gnat (run with -gnatv if you don't know)

Okay, sorry, I'll try it again.
A Unix machine running SunOS version 5.5.1
I am using Gnat version 2.7.2.2 (I hope that's correct).

My original question was, is there a way to find the current cursor position
(row and column) in Ada on this system.

Advice appreciated,
Mark.

------------------------EMAIL:ord@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au-----------------------
   Where's the soul. I want to know know. New York city is evil. The surface
   is everything, but I could never do that. Someone would see through that.
                "Motorcycle Drive By"   -- Third Eye Blind --
Unofficial Dishwalla WWW:http://minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU/~ord/dishwalla/main.html

@ 1997-09-13  0:00         ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1997-09-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"I am using Gnat version 2.7.2.2 (I hope that's correct)."

We are using Gnat 3.09 (unfortunately 3.10 wasn't installed :-(...).
(2.7.2.2 is, i believe, the version of gcc that gnat sits on top of).

"My original question was, is there a way to find the current cursor position
 (row and column) in Ada on this system."

Unless there is some special Ansi escape sequence, the answer is to use
curses. This issue is outside of the range of any of the current Ada
packages.

Dale